Is Work Management included in Jira Software Premium

Shaun McGuire May 12, 2021

It was recently announced that there is an upgrade to Jira Core called Jira Work Management, which I gather includes new team management tools like calendars and other things. 

Is this new functionality including in my Jira Software Premium subscription, much as the Jira Core was included in Jira Software in the past?

5 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2021

Hi @Shaun McGuire 

To simply put it "Yes". Jira core is the fundamental building block for the entire Jira suite and JWM is definitely included as a bundle when you get Jira software. However please do not add JWM as an application in your product as that will bill you separately for JWM.

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Hi Shaun,

Yes, it is included.  :-)

Shaun McGuire May 13, 2021

Cool. So are the Work Management functions like Calendar, etc. only in non-software projects?

Is there a place where I can see ALL the new features in action, preferably on video?

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Yes, they are only on the Business type projects right now. 

The best thing is to create a test project and play with it.  :-)

Here's the marketing stuff - not sure there are any videos out there yet: 

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/work-management

1 vote
Paul Bestic November 1, 2022

Also just to clarify on this, so even if you have Standard JIRA licenses JWM is included? 

You don't need to purchase both JIRA and JWM licenses separately? 

Thanks, 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2022

Correct - JWM is included if you get JSW

Like Paul Bestic likes this
Paul Bestic November 1, 2022

Cheers John 

Like John Funk likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2022

This is not always so cut and dry.  I am assisting a team with their Server to Cloud migration and was required by the JCMA to add JWM. Now the customer is being charged separately for JWM, and Atlassian denies our claim that JWM should not be charged when JSM and JSW are licensed.

It's being worked out, but it is not as simple as it seems.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2023

It is actually that simple.

JWM is always installed, it's actually the "core" of Jira - Software and Service Management are not independent applications, they run on top of JWM.

The three applications are licenced separately - you can do things like 3 JSM agents, 25 JWM users and 50 Software users. 

Assuming your people are all in different groups and only take one licence each, then the JWM users won't be able to use Software boards, or act in Support projects.  The Software users won't be able to act in Support projects, and the Agents won't be able to use Software boards.   

Both Agents and Software users will be able to use JWM projects, without being added as JWM users.

If you're being billed for JWM and Software users and they're the same people, then you should be able to simple remove them from the JWM permissions, and only be billed for the Software users.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  respectfully, it really was and is not that simple.

Yes, you're right that JWM is always installed.

Tell that to the JCMA when it wants to take its ball and go home.  Maybe that's fixed now?  Back then it was not. I was unable to move forward with a migration without explicitly adding a JWM product to the site - and Standard - free was also not accepted by the JCMA.  This made for a nightmare scenario for billing and for the migration overall.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2023

JCMA is a different "kettle of fish", and it makes all sorts of mistakes.  We regularly get requests for "trial" or "extension" licences which are actually all about using JCMA to do a Cloud migration, and our consultants are often the people asking for them.

Migration (with or without JCMA) is not as simple as Atlassian would like you to believe.

But using one of the Jira applications is that simple, and after migration, you can drop your uneeded licences.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2023

Au contraire :)

That, too, was not possible, I believe, due to it being an annual license.

Trust me when I say this was weeks-months of migraines :)

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

Yes it is.

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2022

Can anyone confirm that JWM is still included when using JSW?

Jakob B_ January 2, 2023

I just stumbled over the same question. The Atlassian Documentation here says yes, it's included:

image.png

Confusingly, when I go for the Pricing section of JWM documentation I could start an extra JWM plan although we're on JSW Premium.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events