Is Velocity tied to a Board or to a Project?

David Wilson June 23, 2014

I have 3 teams working issues in 4 JIRA projects. I have one board that includes all 4 projects for full backlog management. I'm creating 3 sprints in this one board (using the Agile Labs feature), one for each team, and we're sprint planning per team.

All this works great except one thing: There's no way to pair sprints from cycle to cycle to their associated team sprints from the previous cycles so that the velcoity averages out exclusive to that team.

So my question is: Is velocity tied to specific Scrum Boards, or to projects, or to filters?

My hunch is it is boards. If it's tied to boards, then is it tied to the ORIGINATING board, or to the board you use when ending (closing) a sprint?

If it IS tied to board, then I can just create 3 copies of the same board but start a sprint on each (each sprint will still appear on each board because the filter is the same). It's kinda a lame resolution, if that's the case - Atlassian should give us a way to assign a "team" to a sprint so we can relate the from cycle to cycle!

However, we just started and I don't want to multiple sprint weeks before I figure it out in order to test the theory, so if someone already knows the answer, I'd appreciate a heads up!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2014

David,

The Velocity will be Board Specific like Subhendu said.

That means that when you create 3 boards using the same filter the velocity will be calculated for each board separatly. Do keep in mind that because those boards will use the same filter they will all display the exact same information.

You could narrow down your filter per team and create a board per team. This will give you a velocity per team. You can then use your original filter for an overview board (containing all 3 sprints) which will have a velocity for your 3 teams combined.

I hope this is a clear enough answer, if not: let me know :)

Best regards,

Peter

Diana Kartikawati March 14, 2018

Hi Peter.

I have similar problem to David, hoping you could help as well?

I added the filter using label = team name on each board for each team, AU and India. Do i have to create a custom field called team to make it work, rather than just using label?

I have two boards with different filter for different team, however both are showing each other's sprints. i.e. AU Team Board has India Sprint and AU Sprint in it, despite me creating the sprint in india team board. Is this the expected behaviour? and wouldn't this then be showing combined velocity instead?

Thank you so much in advance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2018

Yes.  A board shows all sprints that apply to issues on it.

1 vote
Thank you Peter. Your answer was crystal clear. As for your suggestion; the only reason I don't want to filter the 3 boards further, is due to the necessity of then maintaining some field to indicate team on each story. Currently, each team is defined simply by the sprint itself, and the way it is named. "Team A - Sprint 1", etc. Even though each team has a primary project ("pillar"), each team has the ability to work issues out of their pillar if the need arises. Thus, I can't simply use project as a team filter, and there's no other natural filter to apply, and I don't want to maintain another field simply to filter on. Besides, I don't mind seeing all the stories on one board, and one backlog. In work mode, each team can filter the screen by the specific sprint they are in. The only reason I'm going to need the other 3 boards is simply to originate sprints so I can divide velocity. (Again, a team selector on a sprint so it knows how to marry cycles together, would be a nice feature)
0 votes
Subhendu Chattopadhyay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2014

The Velocity Chart is board-specific, that is, it will only include issues which match your board's saved filter

So then, by what you're saying, it is actually Filter Specific?

If I create 3 boards that all share the same filter and create one sprint on each board (meaning the same issues appear on each, and thus ultimately a sprint will appear on each board), does the velocity over sprints only avg across the sprints create on the same board, or across all sprints sharing the same filter regardless of the board the sprint originated from?

Suggest an answer