I am having an issue in JQL where I am searching for "ParagraphField" is not EMPTY and it works initially, only returning the tickets where this field is not empty. The issue is that if I then go and clear the text (select all, delete or using Jira Automation) it is still returned in the results- there doesn't seem to be a way to make the field empty again. Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?
It is as simple as 'project = "project" AND "ParagraphField" is not EMPTY'. I can't really share the results as it will show our company info.
Run the query, nothing shows up. I add something to ParagraphField and rerun the query and it shows up as expected. I then clear the data in ParagraphField and rerun the query and the ticket is still there even though ParagraphField is now empty.
No worries about not showing the data - that is expected.
I would try to do it with an automation rule, and after you clear the field, I would do a New Action, Re-fetch issue data.
Then hopefully when it runs, if it does not update the field you might get some hints in the Audit log for the rule.
I'm not sure if this is a search within Jira or with Automation for Jira?
It sounds like its a Jira search, so I'm not real sure. It might be an issue with indexing or caching inside Jira? The only thing I can think of to check would be that the field is allowed to be empty but if the rule is running successfully that won't be it either.
I think it could be a candidate for raising a support case.
@John Funk Yes that is correct, rules runs without error and clears the field but it still shows in the query results.
@Simeon Ross yes it is a query that I am trying to use to tag blockers in our board. The issue is that I add something to the field that successfully triggers, but then when I clear it, manually via the screen or via automation, and it stays marked as triggered. This behaviour is replicated by running the JQL directly, even though the field is empty it is still returning in the results for a not empty query. Based on the API it seems the value is null before it is touched and then when I clear it, it is set to "" instead of null.
If this doesn't help offer a possible solution I will get a ticket raised.
I have queried the API and the field value is different on the field I have clear "customfield_11660": null vs the field on an issue that I have never edited "customfield_11660": "". I have tried setting the value to null using the API to no avail- the value doesn't go back to null even though the update call is successful (204). It would seem that empty is checking for null and not empty string in this instance and that is causing the issue and I can't see a way of getting this back to null.
Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events