Is Jira the right project management tool for my business

Ben Fuller September 14, 2021

I work for a publishing business where multiple production managers handle a line each and produce multiple books for that line. More than one book can be in production at any one time for each line.

Although production managers work to a deadline for each book, these deadlines can shift for the rest of the book on the line because of an issue with one of the books, such as the cover has taken longer to sort.

I am looking for software that will aid us to manage multiple deadlines across multiple books, that can help our business know when the books will be expected to be delivered for printing, and when something takes longer, or some kind of ad hoc task comes along, the deadline for all other books are updated to reflect the additional work the production manager has put in.

Is Jira for me?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2021

Hi @Ben Fuller

Project management is my forte so hopefully I can help with this.

If you're looking to manage tasks and create timelines based off of your tasks, I'd suggest taking a look at Jira Work Management.

Jira Software could be useful for you but in order to create Gantt charts and have the ability to manage projects traditionally, you'd need to use an add-on or upgrade to Jira Software Premium.

A lot of this is manual work, similar to MS Project and others, but using Jira Work Management allows you to create lists of tasks, a Kanban board and simple timelines. You can create dependencies, so one task has to be completed before another can start and so it would work decently for your needs at a high level.

Hope this helps.

Jacob

Ben Fuller September 15, 2021

Thanks @Jacob Vu  i'll take a look into that!

Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2021

Hi @Ben Fuller

No worries, Atlassian offers free trials / free instances of basic versions so you can test it out and see if it would work for what you want to do.

Let me know if you have questions or need professional help setting things up, here to help.

Jacob

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2021

Hi Ben,

One idea might be to link the books through issue linking so there is a dependency of sorts between them. Then when the Due Date of one book is changed, it could fire an automation rule that updates the Due Dates of all other issues/books that are dependent on it through the linkage. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events