Integrate Stash/Bitbucket/git and Jira workflows?

Steve Lane October 30, 2013

Hello all:

I want to be clear that this is not a question about the basics of integrating Stash and Jira, which I understand. I think it's more of a process issue and I'm wondering how people and teams try to solve it.

I'm helping manage a project right now and get them going with Jira Agile, so that we spend time in the Task View every day. The team is fairly code-focused, and thinks a lot in terms of making, reviewing and merging pull requests, and slightly less in terms of tasks.

Our challenge is how to link agile board tasks to pull requests. Right now we have a Pull Request column on the board, and developers move a task there when they have a PR for the task. But there is no way to look "through" the task into Stash/Bitbucket and see the associated pull request reviewer. For now we're managing it that when someone makes a PR, they go back to Jira and manually assign the associated task(s) to the PR reviewer, so that we can see on the board who currently owns the next step on the task. This is not wonderful because it obscures the original developer,but it works.

Have others wrestled with similar issues, and if so, what solutions have you found? Specific Jira workflows? Things outside of Jira? Things like the above?

3 answers

0 votes
Patrick Zahnd October 31, 2013

+1 i think the Stash Pull Request Workflow integrated in Jira Issues would be a key feature

0 votes
Jeremiah Small October 30, 2013

+1

If there is existing or possible future tooling support for this kind of workflow/visibility linking between a task on the Agile Board and a PR it would be terrific. Ideally it would work between more than just the AOD products. E.g. BitBucket plus stand-alone Jira, or Stash puls Jira. I can understand if it's tough to add non-Atlassian products like Github, but that would be clever too.

0 votes
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2013
Great question.

Suggest an answer