Inherit status of parent Story for new Sub-Tasks

Kenneth_Johansen February 19, 2014

We are using Jira Agile with some added statuses like Planned, Next, Code Review and so on. We have made a Kanban Board that only shows stories and sub-tasks of the Next, In Progress, Code Review, Testing and Done status and are creating the subtasks when we move the story into the In Progress Column. The problem is that all subtasks created are put in the Backlog state, and thus not showing on the Board which is a big problem for us

Are there any configurations I can make so that when we create a Subtask they inherit Workflow state (and Assignee) from the parent issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2014

Not directly - when you create an issue, it always takes on the first state in the workflow.

That does lead you on to the standard approach - take the workflow you are using for the parent issues, copy it and change it for the sub-tasks, changing the entry point from "backlog" to whatever is most apropriate. If you've got the right plugins, you can also add "copy field from parent" post-functions to that workflow (for the assignee - won't work for status). And you could investigate an automatic transition - on "create" possibly move a sub-task to a different status as well.

This won't work for "simplified" workflows, and some of the tricks definitely need plugins/code.

Divya Yathagiri Venkata March 19, 2018

Hi Nic,

I am trying to have the sub-task created with the same status as parent. I tried both of the below but the sub-task is still being created with 'New' status when I create one.

I tried to add the post-function 'Copy field value from parent issue (JMWE add-on)' [Set the value(s) of a field to the value of the same field in the parent issue] but this does not have Status field.

I have also tried to add a post function 'Copy Value From Other Field' to copy the status field from parent to sub-task which didn't work either.

How do I achieve this?

Thanks,

Divya

Suggest an answer