Incorrect order of Kanban board columns

Filippo Diotalevi April 28, 2020

We have a project with a simple custom workflow as in picture 

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.55.51.png

The transitions are unidirectional and quite straightforward, but the Kanban board shows the columns in the wrong order

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.59.42.png

There's no cog icon to reorder the Kanban board (I'm the project admin) - I think this is not available in the cloud version. 

How can I fix this problem?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2020

Hi @Filippo Diotalevi , Welcome to the community!

We have this feature in Cloud we can drag and drop the columns and set the order, but for this, you need to be Board admin.

If you are not the board admin you will not be able to do any changes in the board. Please check you are the board admin or not.

Go To Board Configure and check the general tab to see who is the board admin for the board.

b1.png

If you are not the board admin please edit it and add yourself as board admin, thereafter you can drag and drop the columns.

Hope it will help you.

Thanks for you answer. I don't see Board Configure or some of the items that are in your screenshot

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 14.31.32.png 

Is it maybe because it is a Business Project rather than a Software Project?

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2020

Hi @Filippo Diotalevi 

I have created the business project now so that I can help you better.

b1.png

and I am able to drag and drop the things it means this feature is here in the cloud. are you not able to see the darg and drop things when you hover over to the column name and press the mouse to drag the columns?

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2020

@Filippo Diotalevi  you can read here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/work-with-boards-in-business-projects/

you should be Jira core admin if you want to change the order of the column and I think you are only the Project Admin as of now.

Hi, that's exactly it, the drag and drop control aren't displayed when I hover over the column name or the column.

I'll check with my Jira administrator to see if I need some more privilege added to my account 

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2020

@Filippo Diotalevi  yes please see the above link too and share this with your admin too.

In the business projects, we do not have any option to configure the board as like the software projects.

In business projects, we use the Jira core boards and for making the changes in the order you need to be Jira core admin.

When you will be satisfied with my answer please accept it.

Thanks have a good time.

Filippo Diotalevi April 29, 2020

Thanks, as you correctly pointed out, a Jira Core admin can reorder the columns.

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2020

HI @Filippo Diotalevi ,

Just to confirm, can you see the board settings in the right upper corner? If you're an admin you should be able to edit the board and reorder columns:

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 11.32.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 11.34.42 PM.png

Brad Doyle January 5, 2022

when I reorder the columns and logout it goes back to the original order and I have to rearrange the columns each time I login.  And on the mobile app the columns never are rearranged as I make them in the web portal and no drag and drop in the app is available.  Any help.?

0 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2020

You need to configure the board and have board admin privileges (different from project admin privileges).  

Assuming you have permissions to configure the board:

1. From the board, click the top right ellipsis -> Configure board
  2. Click columns on the left
  3. Drag and drop your columns to the order you want

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events