In-depth Jira search

Andrew Mirauta January 19, 2021

Hello Atlassian community!

I'm fairly new to Jira and I am trying to maximize it to get some quality reports going for my team. Basically, we're a support team who tends to resolve issues fairly quickly at a small company, and we'd like to show a nice visual report of that to the rest of the company once a week. For the visuals I was thinking the Custom Charts add on. 

Now, I have SOME coding experience, but Jira seems to be a different beast, one I have zero experience with. Basically, my query would be for total issues created and solved within the previous week's timeframe. Now, that's easy enough with the date picker function, but I want issues resolved to exclude an issue started the week before and finished this one. 

Without having used Custom Charts I believe that this can map it nicely on a pie chart for a week AND for a separate query for the quarter/year for previous years' comparisons. I'd like to try the trial, I was just wondering if you guys know if Jira actually gives you a month to consider it or if you buy a year and the first month's free kinda trial?

Thanks for reading!

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Mirauta January 20, 2021

Thanks @Earl McCutcheon ,

I think I'm good with the Custom Charts, but I was a little more curious to see if anyone could answer my JQL question. If I can look for issues closed within a week that are only started that week, and not before. 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

Hi @Andrew Mirauta well you could do something like

Created >= StartOfWeek() and resolutiondate < endOfWeek()

Like # people like this
Andrew Mirauta January 21, 2021

@Dirk Ronsmans perfect, thank you!

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2021

Hello @Andrew Mirauta ,

But first, a big Thank's for the query @Dirk Ronsmans , that is a good one :) 

Also to go along with the JQL mentioned I highly recommend bookmarking the following set of pages for a reference point to the available JQL functions for advanced searches, it is really helpful to have this list on hand when working out how to define a new query for a list of available functions with the expected use cases defined:

Regards,
Earl

Andrew Mirauta January 22, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans mind if I bug you for a little more JQL help? So basically that JQL you gave me works pretty well and rounds up my data from the pre determined keys (column headers selected by our admins). Our column keys are:

Issue Type, Key, Summary, Reporter, Assignee, Priority, Status, Created, Updated

If I want the data arranged otherwise (I want to see the data sorted as a column chart that reads the issues spread by company, then a chart that shows a column of created vs unresolved). Company is a field within the created issues but not a key (or column header). 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2021

Hi @Andrew Mirauta ,

If you are looking for something to display a live dashboard for a reference style reporting option check out the Blog post "5 steps to a killer JIRA dashboard" to get you started.

But if you are looking for something more detailed, as mentioned in the other answers there are tons of prepackaged add-on apps that will give you a lot of really good reporting tools available with more broad applications to very specialized reports and some that even have additional functionality to fill specific gaps not available in the base systems design via the marketplace, it just depends on what exactly are you looking to report on:

And I specifically wanted to touch on a free option that will allow you to make customized reports by linking the live Jira data to external spreadsheet applications either Google Sheets or Excel via:

These connectors will allow you to pipe Jira data directly to a spreadsheet where you can then use all the native functionality in the spreadsheet applications to build out any custom reporting you are looking for

Regards,
Earl

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Hi @Andrew Mirauta ,

i'm not familiar with custom charts but it sure looks like it can do what you want. The query it needs seems to be a standard JQL, so you can always test those in the advanced search.

i'm not sure however if you'll be able to get proper historical data from it as it doesn't seem to provide any logic behind the charting.

If you are still evaluating I can recommend EazyBI for such things https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211508/eazybi-reports-and-charts-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=pricing

it's little more expensive (but barely) and actually uses a build in cube which you can build BI reports on. They have a lof of the KPI's, Measures, .. build in (but if you want to go really advanced you can also dive in the MDX yourself). So I'd suggest to at least start a trial of that one too. (it also makes nice dashboards that have their own dedicated page with permissions :)) (we all know management like them graphs..)

1 vote
Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2021

Hey @Andrew Mirauta 

Marketplace apps give you a 30 day trial of an app and will then bill based on the amount of users you have. This is a pretty decent time to test the app out and you can stop the trial at any time.

Note: If you haven't already, see if you can use the jira dashboard and some of the out of the box gadgets (like created vs resolved). They're fairly basic but since you're new to jira, it would be a good place to start to see what is possible out of the box.

Cheers

Ash

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events