In Log work, clicking "Date Started" date picker causes form validation to fail

Paul Monk August 8, 2022

If you don't change the "Date Started" value or if you change the value manually (typing it in), the work gets logged successfully. However, as soon as you click the calendar button and pick a date, you cannot submit the form (validation error: "You must specify a date on which the work occurred."), even if you change the date back to the original value. Anyone seen this? (On Jira 9.0.0.)

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2022

Hi Paul,

Were you able to solve this? I have the same issue when using Jira in Dutch.

The date picker does not add a dot behind the month and not between a.m. or p.m.

I still have to test it myself but I think you can solve it by changing to a date format that doesn't use the abbreviated months (so MM instead of MMM) and use a 24h format.

This is the related bug report: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-62590

Paul Monk September 6, 2022

Hi @Charlie Misonne and @Florian Bonniec,

I was finally able to get back to looking at this. We were using English UK language pack. I switched it to English US and now people are able to log work again. Thank you both for the help!

Cheers,

Paul

Like Charlie Misonne likes this
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2022

Hi Paul,

Ok! Good to know.

I will test the date format change myself and post whether it worked here.

But I'm glad switch to US English already solved your case.

0 votes
Paul Monk August 8, 2022

Oops. Please ignore :)

0 votes
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Hi @Paul Monk 

So entering a date works but selecting one from the calendar do not ?

Do you notice a different format between the date that is set by default and the one displayed when selecting one with the calendar?

It may be related to this issue.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/invalid-date-when-trying-to-log-work-on-issue-in-jira-297667653.html

Paul Monk August 8, 2022

Hi @Florian Bonniec 

Yes. Initially, when opening the Log work dialog, the start date shows "08/Aug./22 3:38 p.m." If the current date is picked from the calendar, it changes to "8/Aug./22 01:43 AM" (leading zero, stripped, actual timestamp is AM instead of PM and upper-case). 

I checked that issue you mentioned and the language is a bit vague. It says "Verify the key jira.date.picker.java.format corresponds with the key jira.date.picker.javascript.format"

Does "correspond" mean "the same"? The values I have for the java/javascript formats are very different. Which one is the correct one?

jira.date.picker.java.format: d/MMM/yy

jira.date.picker.javascript.format: %e/%b/%y

I've never seen that javascript format syntax. Is that documented somewhere? 

Thanks,

Paul

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

@Paul Monk 

I don't think you have an issue with jira.date.picker.java.format and jira.date.picker.javascript.format.

But you should look at  jira.date.time.picker.java.format and jira.date.time.picker.javascript.format

Can you share the value you have for both of this params ?

Paul Monk August 8, 2022

Yes, I realized that. I was too lazy to go back to update the reply. But both will have similar issues.

jira.date.time.picker.java.format: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a

jira.date.time.picker.javascript.format: %e/%b/%y %I:%M %p

Are these "%e/%b/%y %I:%M %p" placeholders described somewhere?

I doubt we've ever edited any of these and this feature was working for us. (Last time it was used, we were on an a prior release, an 8.x.x I believe.) Was there a change in Jira in this area?

Thanks,

Paul

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Weird it looks fine to me.

You can find the meaning for the % in this link https://devhints.io/datetime

Like Paul Monk likes this
Paul Monk August 8, 2022

Yeah, it's odd. Thanks for the help and the links! I'll log a case.

Cheers,

Paul

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

It seems to be a date format issue to me.

Can you add a screenshot with the popup without the issue and one with the issue ?

Like Charlie Misonne likes this
Paul Monk August 8, 2022

Popup when it first opens:

jira 01.jpg

After picking the date from the calendar:

jira 02.jpg

But it's not how the date displays that's the problem. It's that it causes a validation error. Even if you change it to look like the first screen shot, it still does not validate. 

jira 03.jpg

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Not sure how to solve this issue but I think the expected format in order to be a valid date is 8/Aug./22 04:32 a.m.

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

Is your JIRA installed with "en_AUS" or "Dutch" or Netherland ?

A bit weird but it seems to be related to this issue but it's a Cloud issue.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71304

What if you change your profile to Nederlands then log time, it should display the right format if it's the issue above.

Suggest an answer