In Kanban board, some epics from other projects show, some don‘t. SAFe. Baffled.

Sascha A. Carlin February 9, 2021

Hi all.

I recently joined a new team/company and they use JIRA in a way I‘ve never seen before.

They have a JIRA project that has all the SAFe PI epics. They have other JIRA projects to for individual teams. One such team uses a Scrum board and a Kanban board in parallel in the same JIRA project.

Now, one project (ABC) has a ticket (ABC-1) that is linked to a SAFe epic (EP-1). This ticket cannot be seen in the Kanban board, even though it does show up if I view the filter the board is based on directly.

As soon as I link this ticket to an epic created in the same project (ABC-2), it shows in the Kanban board.

Even after assigning it and moving from the backlog to a swimlane, as soon as I link it to the SAFe epic EP-1, is vanishes from the board.

I must be overlooking something, but what?

Stay safe & thank you
Sascha

3 answers

0 votes
Sascha A. Carlin May 14, 2021

Hi again. Thank you Daniel!

I was fiddling with this late at night until … it went away.

For the life of me, I cannot say what I did that ultimately helped :(

In case it crops up again, I will reopen this post here.

Thank you!

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

Hi @Sascha A_ Carlin

to summarize if I understood it at all:

• There is a project "EP" containing Epics.
  • There is a project "ABC" containing issues linked to project EP.

• x) As soon as a link from project ABC to project EP is established the issue vanishes from the kanban board you created.
  • y) However, when an issue in ABC is linked to a second issue in ABC it won't vanish from the kanban board.

If this is understand correctly,
  • Does the card re-appear when the link is removed?
  • Have you tried creating a fresh kanban board if the problem appears also there?

Your JQL showed earlier is giving me strange results on my instance - but yet I am not sure if related at all.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

Hi Sascha - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Check the sub-filter of the board to see if it is further filter cards out. 

Hi John,

I appreciate you chiming in!

By sub-filters you mean a Quick Filter? None are selected.

Cheers
Sascha

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

No. Go to Board settings > General 

At the bottom of the screen is a section called sub-filter 

Ah, my bad.

No luck though, no sub-filters are set.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2021

can you share the filter being used by the board?

Sascha A. Carlin February 10, 2021

Here goes. Broken up for legibility.

project = TNI
AND (sprint not in openSprints() OR Sprint is EMPTY)
AND NOT (sprint is not EMPTY AND status = DONE)
ORDER BY Rang ASC

As as I understand from other posts here, this seems to be an accepted way to have a Kanban and a Scrum board in the same project?

BTW, the ticket's status is not DONE.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2021

So you have Epics included in your Sprint and showing them on the board?

And you have verified that if you run the filter you see the card in the list, but it is not on the board?

Is it in a status that is not mapped to the board then? 

Epics are visible, yes, in both the Scrum and the Kanban boards.

If I run the filter, I see the card.

The status is mapped.

🤔

The only difference is the epic?

If the ticket is linked to an epic from the overall epic board, EP-1, it does not show.

If it is linked to an epic from the same project, it does show.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2021

That tells me that there is something inherent in the Scrum type board that excludes Epics from other projects. 

It would be the Kanban board, but I see your point.

Is this maybe a question of permissions as set on the epic ticket or the project it sits in?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2021

The Kanban board should show it then. Maybe create a new card that would go to the backlog and has the Epic as the Epic Link. Maybe you can see if it shows up in the Backlog of the Kanban board then.

Just thinking it removes some other factors from the history of the card maybe. 

Suggest an answer