In JIRA, can I view members of a user group?

I inherited a project at a dynamically growing company, people are added and transfer to new teams often enough that I prefer to use groups to assign access to my project. I have 2 related questions:

1.  Can I view members of a user group? (Article https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver073/managing-project-role-memberships-861256141.html tells me that I cannot edit them.)

2. Can I get notified when a user group is changed?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

From within the project roles, you can't change/view the group memberships.  But If you are a Jira administrator, you can navigate to the System Gear icon in the top right of the screen -> User Management -> Groups for Jira Server.   If you're on Jira Cloud it's a similar location Gear/Cog Icon -> User management.

From here you can look at specific groups and see what users are members here.   If you're using Jira Server and your Jira instance is connected to an external user directory such as LDAP, it's possible that you might not be able to change the memberships for that group within Jira directly.  If that is the case, then this group originates from LDAP itself, and in turn you can only change that in the LDAP directory itself.  This is common to see in Jira Server setups because it tends to be easier to create users/groups by syncing to LDAP than it is to create all these accounts directly in Jira.

I don't know of a specific way you can get notifications when group memberships change in Jira.  However, by default Jira is using an Audit Log in order to keep track of user and group management.  Perhaps this can be useful to help track changes to accounts.

Regards,
Andy

This widget could not be displayed.

Unfortunately, a user can't see who is in a JIRA group, you need Administrator privilege to do that.  And no notifications either on changes.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,462 views 10 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you