In JIRA, can I view members of a user group?

Brian Hulse November 21, 2017

I inherited a project at a dynamically growing company, people are added and transfer to new teams often enough that I prefer to use groups to assign access to my project. I have 2 related questions:

1.  Can I view members of a user group? (Article https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver073/managing-project-role-memberships-861256141.html tells me that I cannot edit them.)

2. Can I get notified when a user group is changed?

5 answers

7 votes
Neil Reilly August 21, 2020

If you have confluence as well as jira then you can add a “/user list” to a confluence page for a given group. The list is pulled every time the page is refreshed. 

2 votes
Lorraine Gorman April 23, 2018

Unfortunately, a user can't see who is in a JIRA group, you need Administrator privilege to do that.  And no notifications either on changes.

David Holshouser May 23, 2019

So, even the administrator of a project can't see the members of a group built for that project. They have to be a global admin to even see the member of the group for their project. That's completely insane.

Like # people like this
David Holshouser May 23, 2019

And... as a global administrator, I can't export a list of the members so I can at least email it to the project admin. I have to type in the names manually, just so the project admin can know who's in their project. wow.

Like # people like this
David Holshouser June 19, 2019

Basically, using groups as an administration aid is completely borked in JIRA at this time (2019), with no hope for the future. A project admin has no control over or visibility into who has access to their project if you've chosen to use groups to define access. Forcing a global admin to perform group administration for a project is a broken mechanism.

And even if you have a small enough user base to just go ahead and do it that way, the global admin has no ability to export a list for said visibility.

AND there is no way for a global admin to input more than one name at a time. A simple comma or semi-colon delimited list would suffice, but no, not even that.

Groups are broken in almost every way you could conceive.

Like # people like this
Ryan_Kelly January 23, 2020

I guess there are a couple of workarounds here using the JQL;

assignee in membersof("group")

I.e. create a filter, then create a pie chart widget for it by assignee on a dashboard and you can get a list of users.

Or export the JQL results to excel and get unique values

All of which are crappy workarounds, hence me landing here trying to see if there was a better solution. 

Like # people like this
Chris Kemp June 23, 2023

:( Can I please go back to ALM now?? :(

jeroen_wilmes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2023

one remark. you will see only the names of persons that are assigned. So be carefull the list can miss names.

1 vote
Dheeraj June 7, 2020

I think there is an indirect way to find out members of a group; assuming every group member has at least one ticket assigned to them.

1. Create & save a filter "assignee in (membersOf(abc))" to list tickets assigned required group.
  2. In dashboard "Add gadget" of type "Issue Statistics" or "Pie Chart" or "Two Dimensional Filter Statistics". Select saved filter for group and group by assignee.

Gadget will list all group members.

Ryan_Kelly June 8, 2020

This is exactly what I suggested 6 months ago...

Like # people like this
Gautam De December 29, 2020

I have tried this like this for a group XYZ but got this error message:

Function 'membersOf' can not generate a list of usernames for group XYZ:  the group does not exist.

I see the group in "Users and Role" page.

jeroen_wilmes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2023

one remark. you will see only the names of persons that are assigned. So be carefull the list can miss names.

0 votes
Donna Macauley October 12, 2022

Here's a hack to get the list of users (well, email addresses of the users) in a group.

1. Using Chrome, in JIRA, go to User management > Groups > the group you want to see. 
  2. Select Edit members. 
  3. Right click > View Page source. 
  4. Find the section with the list of users, copy/paste and parse out the email addresses in another tool like Word. 
0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2017

From within the project roles, you can't change/view the group memberships.  But If you are a Jira administrator, you can navigate to the System Gear icon in the top right of the screen -> User Management -> Groups for Jira Server.   If you're on Jira Cloud it's a similar location Gear/Cog Icon -> User management.

From here you can look at specific groups and see what users are members here.   If you're using Jira Server and your Jira instance is connected to an external user directory such as LDAP, it's possible that you might not be able to change the memberships for that group within Jira directly.  If that is the case, then this group originates from LDAP itself, and in turn you can only change that in the LDAP directory itself.  This is common to see in Jira Server setups because it tends to be easier to create users/groups by syncing to LDAP than it is to create all these accounts directly in Jira.

I don't know of a specific way you can get notifications when group memberships change in Jira.  However, by default Jira is using an Audit Log in order to keep track of user and group management.  Perhaps this can be useful to help track changes to accounts.

Regards,
Andy

lececere July 26, 2019

Hi @Andy Heinzer ,

Is there an enhancement request that we can vote for to allow general project members to see other users in the project?

Thanks!
Laurie

Like # people like this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2019

Hi Laurie,

Yes, there are a few different requests that exist at the moment that are slightly different depending on platform and description:

Allow users to view group members:

and

Allow Project Administrators to View the Members of the groups Assigned to a Project Role:

I believe that either one of these, if implemented, would meet the specific request you have here.

- Andy

Like # people like this
lececere July 29, 2019

Thank you Andy!

Suggest an answer