Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Importing "Unassgined" Issues From CSV

Is there a way to Bulk Upload issues from a CSV where the Assignee is "Unassigned"?

If this field is left blank, then the assignee is "Automatic" and the issue will be assigned to someone based on automation rules.

However, I'm looking for a way to upload issues to the backlog so that they are not assigned to anyone until sprint planning occurs.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

What about deactivating your Automation rules while you are executing the import?

What is triggering the automation that is causing the assignee to be set?

I've got an automation rule in the project on which I'm an admin that prevents this from happening, but I don't have control over other project automation rules. Can't turn them on/off or modify :/

I'm unclear about the intent of the automation.

If it is appropriate for the issues to be unassigned, then why is the automation configured in such a way that it is automatically setting the Assignee for issues in the backlog?

If the intent of the automation is to set the Assignee always, even for new issues added to the backlog, then why are you trying to circumvent that?

On the project that I'm having the issue with, there are some issues that are meant to be assigned to specific users and others that should be left "Unassigned".

The automation rule is in place to make sure that the reporter either chooses a specific user or specifically marks the issue as "Unassigned", rather than ignoring the "assignee" field altogether.

If the field is ignored (left in "Automatic"), then the issue gets assigned to the project admin, then they receive a notification and follow up with the reporter to see where the issue is supposed to go.

Ok, now I understand.

Looking at this issue

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71877

...it seems like you should be able to specify "unassigned" as the Assignee in the CSV file, and if you use the import functionality available to JIRA Administrators then it should work.

If you are not a JIRA Administrator, then it appears there is no way to force it to be Unassigned in your case, with the automation rule running.

I'm a Project Admin, not a Jira Admin, so my importer is slightly different. The importer won't pass any non-numeric values through that field (it has to be a user id or the issue will bounce).

Sounds like I need to talk to the other Project Admin about their automation rules!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Staying organized with Jira: best practices for a better project management

Project managers know this problem: A “mountain of work” lays in front of you, and you don’t know how and where to tackle them. Different to-dos lie ahead, but just one task after the other can be ha...

242 views 2 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you