Importing external timesheets into Tempo (cloud)

Olivier Brie May 10, 2021

good day all,

I am using Tempo cloud and wanted to know whether it would be possible to import external timesheets to Tempo database ( which I understand is separate from Jira in the cloud version) without the need to have corresponding issues already defined. 

In other words:

-  when hours are imported for an issue/task that is not existing in Tempo, would the importer/Apis create the corresponding entry in Tempo?

- would these new issues/tasks be also created in Jira?

- would the synchro of scope in Cost Tracker work on mixed data , i.e. imported and Jira issues?

many thanks,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2021

Hi @Olivier Brie 

Creating worklogs with the Tempo REST API requires issue information for an existing JIRA issue. No issues can be created via Tempo REST API's.

Worklogs that are created via Tempo REST API will be synced to JIRA in the same way as other worklogs that are created in Tempo and synced to Cost Tracker for Projects that include the issue. 

When using the JIRA import option for worklogs via CSV, new issues can be created at the same time. These worklogs will then be synced to the Tempo database (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/).
Please note that Tempo work attribute information (in case you are using this functionality) can not be added to the CSV import to JIRA and will have to be added once the worklog has been synced to Tempo.

Best regards,
Susanne Götz
Tempo team 

Olivier Brie May 11, 2021

Thank you Suzanne,

To summarize, it will be a 2 steps process where 1) Jira issues are created through the import function you referenced and then synchronized and 2) timesheets will be imported to Tempo referencing previously existing issues.

Is there any other option than APIs to import timesheet as per 2)? a .csv import maybe

regards,

olivier

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2021

Hi @Olivier Brie

When importing worklogs to JIRA via CSV, and the issue that the worklog should be made on does not yet exist, it gets created, together with the worklog (so one import that creates both the issue and the worklog).
This information then gets synced to Tempo.

Within Tempo, there is only the option to import worklogs via REST API, CSV import is not available.

Best regards,
Susanne

Olivier Brie May 11, 2021

Suzanne,

I did manage to import issues but am struggling to import worklogs. I keep getting a parsing error for the worklog.

there are many syntaxes that are proposed in the community pages and none of them is actually working. Here is the message I am getting:

"1 projects and 1 issues imported successfully!

Import completed with 2 warnings:

• Exception occurred parsing worklog 'Import issue 2;2021.05.11 12:30:03;olivier.brie;36000'. It will be skipped
  • Exception occurred parsing worklog 'Import issue 3;2021.05.11 14:30:03;olivier.brie;3600'. It will be skipped

I have tried multiple combinations for the structure of worklog as in the different pages but without success

• without summary in front of the string
  • without seconds in date
  • existing issue or new one

what is wrong in my definition?

thx

olivier

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2021

Hi @Olivier Brie ,

I am not sure what the exact cause is for this problem, but you might need to adjust the date/ time format that is set in the import wizard. 
Additionally, you will need to use your Atlassian User account id when importing worklogs. This id is shown in the URL when you are viewing your user in JIRA Settings, Users, select your user.

In case you still encounter problems after these changes, I recommend that you contact Atlassian support as this import is a JIRA functionality and they might be able to give you more information about this.

Best regards,
Susanne

Nagyné Széles December 27, 2021

Exactly the same problem here.  am using Atlassian User account id. As I give worklog details (date, worklog comment, worklog_user) I get the same parsing error, as I write only the time in seconds as worklog, I get success, but the log does not appear on the issue. 

Suggest an answer