Importing To Jira Cloud From Jira Software Doesn't Work - Breaks Jira Cloud Instance

James Bourne August 20, 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to import my Jira Server/Software instance into Jira Cloud. I've consulted this technical guide. The guide is not particularly clear to say the very least.

1. I've upgraded our Jira Software instance to 7.4.2
  2. I've made sure TZ on Software and Cloud instance was the same

Then I've exported per instructions (I think) and ended up with two ZIP files:

1. jira-backup.zip (this contains activeobjects.xml and entities.xml)
  2. Manually created jira-data.zip that contains the folders /data/attachments /data/avatars and /logos.

It's not clear whether I should have two files or combine jira-backup inside jira-data.zip. The documentation refers to a "snapshot" - what is that? There's no option to create a snapshot.

I then attempted to follow the import instructions:

1. There's no "Jira Import" in Jira Cloud under System per documentation. I found another link to Jira Restore.
  2. When prompted I provided the jira-backup.zip file
  3. Some time passed. I was never asked for a second file.
  4. The import suceeded then and I granted application access to users.
  5. When I try and access a project I get the message "The Jira Server Cannot Be Contacted"
  6. My my.atlassian.net portal page is now permanently broken saying "Oops something went wrong"

No idea what to do next.

Thanks for any assistance.

j.

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2017

Hi James,

I see that you put in a ticket with the Support Team.  They will need to investigate what went wrong on that end and go from there.  I have added notes to your ticket and once you get a resolution, if there is information that would benefit the community, e.g. missing steps from docs, etc. post the resolution here so others can benefit from the resolution as well.

Cheers,

Branden

James Bourne August 21, 2017

Thanks. Once I hear back from the support team I will. I figured based on other posts this was not community solvable so thats why I put the ticket in.

Suggest an answer