Importing Attachments along with Test Cases and Defects

Girish January 25, 2021

Hello, Is there any way to import even attachments along with Testcases and Defects from external system. As we know, Test cases and Defects usually have screenshots and other important files to be imported. Articles and videos on this usually speak almost everything except the attachments. Even in the field mapping method we do not see the option for Attachment. Can anyone help me on this?

OS - Windows

Testcases/Defects Source - Exported from ALM in CSV format

JIRA Type - Data Center

Thanks,

Girish

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

Hello @Girish 

Welcome to the community.

The answer to your question is in the Atlassian JIRA documentation concerning importing from CSV.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/importing-data-from-csv-938847533.html

Search the document for the text "importing attachments".

Attachment should come up as a mappable field if you are using the import feature available to Administrators.

Girish January 26, 2021

Thank you so much Trudy, really appreciate your help pointing me to right direction. I will go through the above URL shared by you and I may get back to you in case of any further queries and clarification. I have Project Administrator right and don't see Attachment as a mappable field, I think I must get JIRA Administrator rights to see the option.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2021

Hello @Girish 

Yes, you would need to have JIRA Administrator rights to access the import function under the Administrators menu, and I do think importing attachments is an option available only to full JIRA Admins (not Project Admins)

Like Girish likes this
Girish January 29, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill ,

You're right and your answers have been of great help!

I created my own JIRA Cloud instance through Atlassian.com (as my company JIRA admin group refused to give JIRA Administrator rights). I see the option 'Attachment' as mappable field. I created the sample CSV with the column 'Attachment' and gave a path of my file "C:\Users\girish\Desktop\JIRA Test case attachment(1).csv". After importing successfully I don't see any attachment. How do I specify the filepath in my CSV file? What is the best way to pull the attachments from CSV into JIRA? Really appreciate your help on this.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2021

Hello @Girish 

The document reference I provided before gives all the details.

The location of the attachment must be one that your JIRA server can access.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 9.39.45 AM.png

Like Girish likes this
Girish January 29, 2021

Thanks @Trudy Claspill  - Will try figuring out the location where JIRA can access from.

Suggest an answer