Import a project from JIRA

NehaNagori May 15, 2017

I am using jira6.1. How can I import a specific project with all comments?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2017

Get an xml backup of the JIRA you are trying to import from.  

Create the new project you are going to import things into.

Use Admin -> project import to extract the project issues from the backup xml into the new project with all comments, history etc.

NehaNagori May 15, 2017

Hi Nic,

I need to give a specific project to client. Xml will import bundle of all the projects. I can not give that file to client. I need to give him file of a specific project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2017

There is no project export.  Your question was about importing, not exporting, so I could not know what you were really trying to do.

Your options for that are:

1.  Import the project you need into an empty JIRA (you'll need to manually recreate all the fields and config.  OR import the whole thing into an empty JIRA and delete the projects you don't want to share.  Then export that and give it to your client

2. Find add-ons that can export projects

NehaNagori May 16, 2017

Sorry Nic,

My question is about Exporting. I wanted to export a  project with all comments. I need to give it to specific client.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2017

Ok, you need to re-read ALL of my comment, not just the first line.

NehaNagori May 17, 2017

Yes Nic, I read that. We were doing the same thing. But I wanted to know is there any simple process? Manual things take a lot of time.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2017

That IS the "simple" process.  

I wouldn't have posted an unnecessarily complex process, it would not be a good answer.

Suggest an answer