If a subtask of US is changed to IN PROGREESS or CLOSED, why US status is not changing ?

Saurav Mehta November 9, 2017

Hello,

I had a User Story (US) XYZ. I created 4 subtasks for the US i.e. TASK A and TASK B

I had closed TASK A and TASK B status was "IN PROGRESS".

Now I have the real problem, I did not change the actual US status, as a result, my US was still OPEN even I closed one task and another was IN PROGRESS.

Why does actual US status not change to IN PROGRESS as soon as we change any of its subtask status to IN PROGRESS ?  I might have the situation where both tasks are CLOSED by US is still open, this is conflict (at least for me).

Can you please help and guide me?

Regards,

Saurav

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

You may wish to read this article.

0 votes
Justin Evans
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

With an app like Power Scripts for Jira, you can use workflow post-functions to script automated transitions for either parent or child issues. For example, you can transition a parent issue to start progress if any sub-task starts progress using SIL scripts and workflow post-functions.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

This is because you have not added any code or automation to do it.

Jira does not make assumptions about people's processes other than "ask if you want to close a parent when the last open subtask is closed".

Thanks, Nic ! Is there any automation plugin which we can use?

Regards,

Saurav

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2017

Several - JMWE, Automation, Script Runner (that one is by my company), Power Scripts.

I can't recommend one in particular for you, because I'm biased (even if I wasn't working for Adaptavist, ScriptRunner would remain my bias simply because it's the one I know best)

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2017

Hi Saurav,

out of the box, there is no automatic transitioning between subtasks and their parent task.

The only automation is, when you move all subtasks to the rightmost column in your board, you will be asked whether the parent task should be moved also to the most right column.

You can prohibit closing the parent issue, if there are still open subtasks. This can be set as a workflow transition condition: it is called "Sub-Task Blocking Condition".

Any more automation has to be implemented by your own. There are apps that provide workflow functions to transition a parent or other linked issue automatically, but this is not working out of the box. 

Thanks, Thomas for your feedback!

We already have "Sub-Task Blocking Condition", so it will make to create the same kind of condition where if any task's status is changed to "IN PROGRESS" parent US will also move to IN PROGRESS.

Do you think this will make more sense?

Regards,

Saurav

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2017

No, it's not a condition but a workflow transition post function you have to use.

E.g. the Jira Misc Workflow Extensions provide a function called "Transition parent issue". But the app is not for free.  

Suggest an answer