If I delete a user, will all the info they have included be removed

Ops User 2 August 19, 2021

I'm trying to reduce the number of users and inactive users on my jira. But if I remove and delete the users from jira. Will the info that they have made and created be still left inside?

2 answers

2 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2021

Hi @Ops User 2 , 

if you delete a user, then all the information he created in Jira will be left intact : the only change would be that instead of the user name displayed on the Jira ticket or comment, you will see an ID now.

If you deactivate a user, then its name will still be displayed on comments and tickets.

Anyway, you can be sure that the information the user has created will not be deleted, if the user is deleted.

Here's a link to the documentation on this topic : https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/remove-or-suspend-a-user/

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Helen C September 20, 2023

Hi is there a way to leave there name and still delete them ie when we delete their name is gone from the issue including who did the transitions which is needed for compliance and traceability. 

Helen

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2023

@Helen C , Why not just deactivate the user instead of deleting which is preferred.

Helen C September 21, 2023

Its ok I have come up with some business rules around which ones we can delete 

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2021

Hi @Ops User 2 ,

As @Alexis Robert mentioned, you don’t need to delete these users. Deactivating these users is the easiest option.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2021

Nor should you delete them IMO.

AClassen September 7, 2022

Awesome !! thanx Guys.

Like Ollie Guan likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin