Ideas of workflows for initiative level

Patricia Duarte July 6, 2020

Hi there,

In my organization today we work in ~50 squads divided in 5 tribes. Each squad has your own "project" in Jira. We use today 3 leves of issuetypes: epic, story (and other variancies of story) and subtasks. For each  level, we have a different board with a specific workflow. For example, for epics we have a board whose steps are 1) Backlog, 2) Product defining), 3) Discovery, 4) Interface Design, 5) Development, 6) Value Assessment, 7) Done.

Now, I would like to group epics in initiatives, in other words, we want to create another level, parent of epics, that we call "initiative". I would like to design a separate board for this issuetype, but I am struggling about which steps this workflow/board would contain. I thought about: 1) Conceiving, 2) Planning, 3) Execution, 4) Done. Any ideas or comments about how this works in other companies?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2020

Hello @Patricia Duarte 

Welcome to the community.

How are you introducing the Initiative issue type to your environment? If you are simply creating a new issue type and naming it Initiative, be advised that JIRA will not recognize a parent/child relationship between your custom Initiative and the built-in Epics. There are apps you can add to the system that will introduce that additional issue hierarchy level. If you are using one of those apps, that could have an impact on your decision about statuses that apply to Initiatives.

Patricia Duarte July 6, 2020

I was thinking about using Porfolio for Jira

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events