I would like to break up a really big project into components.

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

I'm still relatively new at setting up my Jira instance. I would like to use multiple workflows where one component finishes or completes its task and that completion creates a task in the backlog of the next component. I'm planning on three components, one to create a kitting/inventory process/workflow, a build said kit process/workflow and an integration process/workflow. Is it possible to do this using the classic Kanban type of project and can someone point me to an example?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

Hi @Danno 

You can certainly slice your work into multiple components - to have different workflows, these will need to be issue types.

Issue Types can have separate workflows, screens/fields, etc - whilst components (the Jira field) are just categories for further slicing of work.

From an automation perspective, this requires a trigger to create the new issue - let's say you did create three issue types for the above workflows - Create, Build and Integration. You could then do this:

1. Go to Project Settings > Automation
  2. Press the blue "Create Rule" button in the top-right
  3. As the Trigger, add "Issue Transitioned" - as the last status in the Create workflow
  4. Next add a Condition, "Issue Fields Condition" - set the field type to Issue Type, the condition to equals and the value to "Create"
  5. Finally, make the Action "Create Issue" - set the project, the next issue type in the chain - Build - and choose any fields you wish to auto-set as part of the rule. For example, you can click options (3-dots icon) next to Summary to copy the summary from the trigger issue to the new one.
  6. Give the rule a name and publish it to activate it

^ This is one example. You can of course change how the new creation is triggered or what information is copied / created during the action - but this should give you an idea of how to do it automatically.

Let us know if this sounds like what you were hoping for. If not - or you want help with a specific trigger / action, let us know :)

Ste

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2020

What Stephen said :)

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2020

Thanks, Stephen and Simeon. I thought that might be the way to do it. I was jamming through all of the free training that Atlassian offered at the very end of the free trial period and kind of mashed up all of that information into one big crazy thing. I have become very enamored of the Automation feature to where I find it way easier to configure than using conditions and validators and post functions on transitions. That said I'm hoping to get my company top go to Premium with advanced roadmaps so I can use it more often. Can either of you give me advice on whether or not script runner is a good add on? Nic has been very helpful also especially since I am not a text-based software programmer by trade.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2020

Hi @Danno 

When it comes to apps, I find it's best to find a scenario or need and then look what best suits. Some apps have specific (but awesome) uses, whilst others cover multiple functions and can be a good option to allow fluidity in how you customise your instance.

I like ScriptRunner - but it'll be hard to say if it's best for your instance. I would see how much you can get out of the main platform and as you find challenges you'd like to overcome - check out what is available on https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

Ste :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events