Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I wanted to add a validator to label field of Jira.

Hi Team, 

My use case is that I wanted to add a validator to out of box label field so that user can  type only predefined labels. No free text should be allowed to it. 

How can we achive it.

Please suggest, 

Krunal. 

1 answer

0 votes

You cannot add validation to fields, validators only happen in workflows

"No free text should be allowed" - that would defeat the whole point of the label field.

If you don't want to allow free text in a label field, then there's a very simple way to achieve it - remove the label field from the project/issue and add a select or multi-select list instead.  You don't need to validate select lists, you have complete control of the options, and people can't enter free text into them.

Yes, I understand that this will be a nice option but i will not be getting reports, and i wanted to use the default label field. 

Thank you Nic for quicker response 

Multi-select and select fields support the same searches and reporting that labels do, so that should not be a problem if you switch.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Do you use Jira Cloud with Microsoft Teams?

Hi, Jira users! Do you use Jira alongside Microsoft Teams? We want to hear how you’ve used the power of Jira Cloud and Microsoft Teams (via the Jira Cloud for Microsoft Teams app) to achieve a team...

370 views 1 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you