Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I want to only show Stories on my Kanban Board if the associated Epic is "In Progress". How?

Please advise

3 answers

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Dec 04, 2018

this question is quite similar to one I engaged on earlier but can't find at the moment. I was hoping to find it as I think i left it incomplete.

I believe that you would need a plugin, e.g. Scriptrunner and leverage the Issuefunction jql function to build a filter for your board that will display only issues where the Epic Link is not Empty and where the associated Epic Status = In Progress. 

Hi @Ahmed Dewjee,

@Jack is right about the scriptrunner app for this. You can use a JQL statement like this:

issueFunction in Issuetype = Story and issuesInEpics("Projects in (ProjectA, ProjectB) and status = 'in progress'")

where ProjectA and ProjectB are the projects that hold your epics. The issuetype = Story part is just for limiting to only stories, of course.

Unfortunately, I am not the admin so I do not have permission to install the Scriptrunner plugin. Is there any alternative that does not require a plugin?

Jack Community Leader Dec 05, 2018

Not to my knowledge. I would discuss with your admin. It might be you already have Scriptrunner installed or another app that could accomplish.

Hi @Ahmed Dewjee,

Welcome to the Community!

You can use this JQL to filter the search

issuetype in (Story) AND "Epic Status" IS (in progress)

Please refer this & this about using JQL 

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Lava

Jack Community Leader Dec 04, 2018

@Lavakumar Dukanam _Wittified Atlassian Apps_, are you sure this is correct, I mean did you test it? A couple concerns I have here:

The first part will result only in issuetype of stories which is good but the AND will fail as Epic Status is not field associated w/ the Stories that were found in the first part of the query. That is to say the two components are mutually exclusive and the list will always be empty. At least I think that is the case. Also the "IS" cannot be followed by "(in progress)" only Empty. Maybe you meant "Epic Status" = "In Progress"? 

Now maybe this works in Server? On Cloud I don't think it does but I certainly could be wrong here.

Hi @Jack,

Thanks for you comment. I've not tested this on the real system, but i can set it up and give it a shot. Will post my findings later today.

Thanks,
Lava

May 10, 2019 - is the day over yet?  Looking for your answer.

You can use the Agile Tools and Filters app

Simply

1. Go to the backlog and use the Epic Panel JQL filter (provided by Agile Tools and Filters app): status = "In progress" or epicStatus = "In progress"

Now you're all set Epic Panel will show In progress epics only.

Select any epic and you'll see relevant Stories.

Here are some samples 

https://extensi.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ABF/pages/31850177/Epics+Versions+Lists+filtering+on+Backlog#Epics&VersionsListsfilteringonBacklog-JQLfilteringonEpics&Versionspanels

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,375 views 22 32
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you