Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I want to move a non-technical project's tickets to a new project, do I lose any data?

Hi there,
I am planning to move a non-technical project's tickets to a new project. I just want to clarify a few things prior to actioning that:

1. Do I lose any dependencies?
  2. Do I lose any data - comments / files attached to the tickets?
  3. Do I need lose any fields' data (generic fields provided on project initiation) from original project?
  4. Does it move all the COMPLETED tickets as well?
  5. How long will it take for the ticket's to migrate? Will there be any intermittent affects on the existing project? If this is going to take long, is there a way to COPY all tickets to the new project?

2 answers

Hi @Kash Sinduria 

Answers to your questions

1. No.

2. No

3. Data won't be lost, but you need to ensure that the same fields are available in the new project screens for create/edit/view screens in order to view the old data.  

4. When you move the tickets, it will prompt you to map the statuses from the old workflow to the new statuses. If you want to keep the same statuses, make sure that your new project has the exact workflow.  

5. It depends on the amount of tickets and data.  I would try first moving one ticket before you do a bulk move.  

Regards.

Hello @Kash Sinduria 

Welcome to the community.

Is the source project a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? What about the destination project? It will say at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left.

And what type of work is tracked in the source and destination projects; Work Management (aka Business), Software, or Service Management? That will show at the top of the navigation pane below the project name.

Answers to some of your questions depend on the answers to the above. If you are using a Team Managed project as either the source or destination, there can be data loss and dependency loss. If you are moving issues between projects that track different types of work, there may be some data loss.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

👁‍🗨 Confluence Team planning dashboard_Atlympics 🌈

Hi Atlassian's, How is your journey with #Atlympics 2021 so far....excited! Me too, same excitement. Here's my typical team planning and vision dashboard which I used to share to my management and ...

37 views 1 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you