I want to create a filter that can filter both tasks and subtasks on basis of assignee

Prajjwal Pawar February 7, 2023

I am using work management template, and if the assignees are different at task and subtask level, and I apply a filter for the assignee of subtask, it doesn't show those subtask, but only the tasks are shown.

I tried creating advanced filters but I didn't found any options that could filter subtasks. On community here, I found lots of similar questions and they were solved using JQL but since am new to JIRA, I can't write it correctly. 

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2023

Hi @Prajjwal Pawar welcome to Community!

Just to be clear, you would like to see a list of tasks and subtasks assigned to the same person?

You can do that from the basic search but checking the issue types you need and then selecting the user. The basic search uses drop down fields, so no need to use JQL.

I would encourage you to start learning JQL however because it will quickly make Jira easier to use and more powerful. Check out the free course offered by Atlassian: https://university.atlassian.com/student/activity/1225443-intro-to-jql-in-jira-software-course-description?sid=a9d492a7-f903-4dde-af5d-98e5497a394f&sid_i=1 

Prajjwal Pawar February 8, 2023

Hi @Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_ ,

Thank you for your reply, I want to emphasize that I tried the basic search but when am using basic search it is only showing results at task level.

What I mean is, for example, the task is assigned to person A and there's a subtask in that task which is assigned to person B. Now when person B applies a filter - Assigned to me only the tasks that are assigned to him and not subtasks. 

I am using blank project template from work management software.

I have already created a filter using JQL to achieve the same. Thank you.

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2023

Can you check that in the search/filter settings that the subtask issue type is selected as well? Can you also check that the person testing the filter does indeed have subtasks assigned to them? Since you say you're using a blank template, do you have different issues created?

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iryna Komarnitska_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 9, 2023

Hi @Prajjwal Pawar ,

I understand you. If you are new in Jira it's difficult to learn JQL in a moment. Several months ago I was in the same situation.

My team developed gadget for dashboard Text to JQL, which can convert your plain text into JQL query. Hope it will be helpful for you.

It's absolutely free.

Prajjwal Pawar February 9, 2023

@Iryna Komarnitska_SaaSJet_ Thank you! I will try it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events