I updated to 8.18 and the system now says "The product license you're using is not legitimate."

Robert Goold July 4, 2021

The product license you're using is not legitimate. Contact your license issuer.

see attached image

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2021

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify, there was a bug in 8.18.0 in which some legit licenses could generate this banner message.  That bug was tracked in JRASERVER-72583 and subsequently fixed in 8.18.1 and higher versions.  If you're using 8.18.0, please upgrade or follow the work-around on the bug ticket.

Should you be using a version such as 8.18.1 or higher and you encounter this warning, please contact the issuer of your license key.  In many cases this could be Atlassian directly, but it's also possible that our partner vendors could have issued your licenses to you in which case you should reach out to them.  There might need to be a correction made to your license key, or your license might not be legitimate.

1 vote
Tommy July 5, 2021

We just received the same error message after upgrading to 8.18. Did you manage to work around it @Robert Goold ?

Robert Goold July 5, 2021

I don't have an answer as yet but the issue doesn't seem to affect the day to day usage so far

Like Nicolas Seronvalle likes this
Vicknesh Shanmugam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2021

Hey Tommy & Robert. 

I'm from Jira Server support team. So far, I was able to reproduce the problem only with Jira installed in Windows. Have both of you installed your Jira in Windows or Linux environment?

Tommy July 6, 2021

@Vicknesh Shanmugam We have our jira installed on a Windows 2019 server. 

Bug described here for others who may be googling this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-72583 

Like # people like this
Robert Goold July 6, 2021

@Vicknesh Shanmugam my install is on a Windows 10 machine with SQL 2019

Vicknesh Shanmugam
Atlassian Team
July 6, 2021

Thanks Tommy & Robert.

The https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-72583 bug was raised by my colleague as part of the investigation. Our developers are currently looking into the bug and we will be sharing more information in the bug report when we have more information to be shared. We would recommend adding yourself as a watcher of the bug so you will be notified when there's an update to the bug.

From our observation, the warning does not break functionalities in Jira. Because of this, you may ignore the warning for now.

Like # people like this
Guenther Schoch July 10, 2021

Same issue here (windows based server). We are really badly hurt as our external users assume now, that we do not correctly license our software products. This give a real bad reputation! An patch is urgently needed.

Like Florian Schomakers likes this
Dawn Fama July 12, 2021

Same issue for us.  Running on 2016 windows server JIRA DC and JSM DC

Stephen Makk July 18, 2021

Having the same issue with Slack Connector for JIRA. Server 2016 installation.

0 votes
Matthew Price September 3, 2021

Same issue 

0 votes
BPMnet IT July 10, 2021

Also same issue here on multiple windows based servers, hope the patch is on the way!

0 votes
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

I can't give you a better update than @Vicknesh Shanmugam  has

Suggest an answer