I recently had to move to the free version, how can I remove people from the ongoing project?

Edmund Cape May 21, 2021

I was using the licensed/paid version of Jira for an ongoing project. The project has tasks assigned to everyone on the team. 

I recently had to move to the free version to Jira and no longer have the team I had before.  There are tasks assigned to people no longer on the team.  The project configuration no longer includes those members. 

However, the tasks that were assigned to them *in the past* remain assigned to them. How can I remove those members from the tasks without having to do so manually one  task at a time?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

You could search for the issues, then use the "bulk edit" option in the tools menu to re-assign them en-masse.

But generally, I wouldn't bother.  If the issues are closed and the users deactivated, there's no benefits to be had by changing the issues.  (If they're open, you should be re-assigning them so that an active user takes them on)

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

Hi Edmund,

I don't know for sure that it is available for the Free version, but hopefully you can do a Bulk change for the taks.

Create and run a filter for all of the tasks. 

Then click the 3 dots menu in the upper right side.

Select Bulk change all xxx issues

Select all of the issues and click Next

Select Edit Issues

Click in the box for Change Assignee and put in the new assignee or leave it blank. If left blank, but sure the radio button is selected for just the Change Assignee option.

Then click Next and follow the rest of the prompts

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

If you type the username of the deactivated user it will still work. 

Let's say Mary Jones becomes deactivated and her email was mary.jones@abc.com

Her name will not come up when you start typing Mary but if you type in the full name such as

reporter = mary.jones  then it will find the issues where she is the reporter. 

0 votes
Edmund Cape May 24, 2021

Thank you for the responses.  The bulk edit solution worked with a small twist.  The "red-herring" was that I could not search using the deactivated users (they were not in the select menu).  I was hanging on that before realizing that I could run the bulk edit on all the relevant tasks without sub-selecting based on user.  Thanks to these responses I'm now "good to go".

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events