I have lots of JIRAs in my backlog already prioritise. How can I set the Rank to match my priority?

Tim Daniell November 29, 2012

In Greenhopper 6.0, it seems that the way to set the "Global Rank" is to move the JIRAs up or down in the plan section. I have over 1000 JIRA in our Backlog, already sorted by Priority and another custom field (scale 1 to 10 within each priority).

I want to set the Rank to match this sorting. How can I do this without spending hours dragging and dropping 1000+ JIRAs?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2012

Hi Tim,

I'm afraid it is not possible to do that. We store the ranking information as a linked list inside the database, with each row containing an issueId and the issueId of the next item in the linked list, so it is not just a number stored on the database that you can match it to the priority field.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

1 vote
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2012

There is an open JIRA to edit the rank when editing a JIRA, not that that would be quicker than dragging and dropping.

You could add some quick filters to break the 1000 issues down into more manageable chunks and prioritise within each of them.

You could consider changing the filter from rank to using the priority value number (Pr#), spacing the priorties by 5 or 10 to allow for movement later. The Pr# could be inlined edited to move rather than dragging and dropping so arguably not as handy

Suggest an answer