It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I have lots of JIRAs in my backlog already prioritise. How can I set the Rank to match my priority?

Tim Daniell Nov 29, 2012

In Greenhopper 6.0, it seems that the way to set the "Global Rank" is to move the JIRAs up or down in the plan section. I have over 1000 JIRA in our Backlog, already sorted by Priority and another custom field (scale 1 to 10 within each priority).

I want to set the Rank to match this sorting. How can I do this without spending hours dragging and dropping 1000+ JIRAs?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Clarissa Gauterio Atlassian Team Nov 29, 2012

Hi Tim,

I'm afraid it is not possible to do that. We store the ranking information as a linked list inside the database, with each row containing an issueId and the issueId of the next item in the linked list, so it is not just a number stored on the database that you can match it to the priority field.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

1 vote
Tom Corcoran Nov 29, 2012

There is an open JIRA to edit the rank when editing a JIRA, not that that would be quicker than dragging and dropping.

You could add some quick filters to break the 1000 issues down into more manageable chunks and prioritise within each of them.

You could consider changing the filter from rank to using the priority value number (Pr#), spacing the priorties by 5 or 10 to allow for movement later. The Pr# could be inlined edited to move rather than dragging and dropping so arguably not as handy

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to prevent the propagation of unused project schemes, workflows & screens in Jira software

Atlassian ranks project attributes as the third most important factor impacting performance in the category of data. It’s not surprising, since project attributes are precisely the rules used to ma...

1,378 views 1 17
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you