I have 2 sprints showing as active, but we don't have parrallel sprints enabled

Stephen Fitzgerald December 7, 2017

We have sprint 1 and our current sprint showing as active. We don't have parrallel sprints marked as active. How can we disable, or prevent sprint 1 from showing as active from the drop down list "sprints" when we create a new Jira ticket?

7 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2017

First, are the sprints in the same project? If so is one of the sprints simply defined in the Backlog? This is often the case since you start loading the next sprint when another is active.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2017

@Stephen Fitzgerald, as an FYI I have pulled the conversation back into the first answer in hopes of cleaning things up here a bit.

So I'm puzzled by this for sure. If indeed the sprint is "complete". What should be the case is that the Sprint field should only display options for sprints that are not "Complete". This includes "Active", "Future" and the upcoming. As you can see in the image below I have the next sprint ready to go and the test issue is set to it. I can select a "Future" sprint as well but not any completed sprints. Note I am on cloud and unsure if you are cloud or server.

What does your backlog show in the way of sprints? Can you provide an image of exactly what you are seeing. Depending on your feedback here I may reach out to other experts to chime in here.

sprint.pngAnd here is a view of my backlog...

backlog.png

Stephen Fitzgerald December 11, 2017

Hello Jack, 

Firstly, Many thanks for your time on this. In answer to your question, I am on cloud.

I attach images of what I am seeing:-

Firstly Boards->Scrum->Reports->Sprint Report

JIRA3.jpgThen The Create Issue screen:-

JIRA1.jpgAnd finally the backlog screen:-

JIRA2.jpg

0 votes
javiereduardo July 25, 2021

In my case was another 'test PROJECT' I was created with that sprint. That 'Sprint 1' was from that project. The project was deleted and solved the problem.

0 votes
Frank LaFond May 2, 2019

For me, this solved it:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/I-have-an-active-sprint-that-I-can-t-find-and-need-to-close/qaq-p/44661

It turns out the sprint I had completed and the sprint showing up in the available sprints were almost, but not exactly, the same. It looks to be the same above, where there is a "Sprint 1" and a "Sprint 1 - Nothin' but sprint". These are two different sprints. Once I added an issue to my equivalent of "Sprint 1" as described in the link above, I was able to delete the phantom "Sprint 1".

0 votes
Stephen Fitzgerald December 8, 2017

Within "Create Issue" it shows as an active sprint.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2017

@Stephen Fitzgerald, sorry for delay I have been rather tied up. I will try to have a look at this shortly and get back to you. 

OK, much appreciated

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2017

Stephen, I'm thinking it may be time to open a support request w/ Atlassian. If the following query indicates that you only have one active sprint open yet when you create an issue you can choose between sprints then something is amiss w/ the 'ghost' sprint.

sprint in openSprints()

Stephen Fitzgerald December 13, 2017

Hello Jack, 

I will open a support ticket with Jira. Thanks very much for your help.

Stephen

willems davy January 21, 2019

@Stephen Fitzgerald was this ever resolved with you ? We are also seeing a "Sprint 1" as active sprint while it does not show up anywhere else

Frank LaFond May 2, 2019

@Stephen Fitzgerald did you get a response from Atlassian? I have the same behavior, server version v7.12.3. Thanks! If not, I'll open a ticket and report back if I get an answer.

0 votes

If I go to "Boards->Scrum->Reports->Sprint Report" Sprint 1 shows as closed. Yet it is selectable from the "Create Issue" screen. Can you suggest why this might be?

thanks

0 votes

When I view "Active Sprints" I can only see one sprint active, which is sprint 15. I cannot see a sprint 1.

0 votes
Stephen Fitzgerald December 7, 2017

Hello Jack, 

I'm not sure how to tell if the sprints are part of the same project. I can tell you that they appear in the "sprint" menu when creating a new Jira ticket.  I checked in the backlog and found 2 sprints there. However the sprints that were there were sprints 15 & 16. The two sprints that appear in the drop down list in the create screen are sprints 16 & sprint 1.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2017

your sprint 1 was never closed I expect so it will continue to show. find and close.

Could you tell me where to locate the sprint please?

thanks

Suggest an answer