I cannot utilize Parent Link in Advanced Roadmaps for my project.

James DonFrancesco January 13, 2021

I've setup a custom Issue Type "Objective" which is a parent to Epics. Epics will be naturally then parents to Stories.

I have walked through the instructions and researched the help forums. Nothing is working. When I drop down the Parent Link on an Epic, it doesn't show any of the Objectives I've already created.

Strangely, it does show the "Decision" custom issue type I also created.

Please help me figure out why Parent Link doesn't show Objectives custom issue type. Also, I've added the project, board and filter to my Advanced Roadmap sources.

Thank you

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hello @James DonFrancesco 

Welcome to the community.

Can you show us a screen shot of your issue hierarchy configuration screen? The same area as shown in this reference article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/configuring-hierarchy-levels-998650959.html

...in the section 

Configuring the initiative hierarchy level in a plan

... in step 3.

James DonFrancesco January 14, 2021

@Trudy Claspill Sure,

Hierarchy 1.jpgHierarchy 2.jpg

Thanks!

The Decision Issue Type does show up when trying to link an Epic to a parent link.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

Hello @James DonFrancesco 

The parent/child relationship can be configured between only a single pair of issues. You can't have two types of issues as options for the parent of a third.

Based on the hierarchy image you pasted, Decision shows up as an option for parent link for Epics because that is how you built the hierarchy. Objective is parent to Dependency, Dependency is parent to Decision, and Decision is parent to Epic.

Like Alex Bernardin likes this

Thanks @Trudy Claspill - I removed Dependency and Decision custom issue types and now I can link to the parent objective.

This must be a new change with Advanced Roadmaps. In the previous Portfolio for Jira product, I was able to have other issue types but maybe I didn't have them in the hierarchy list... 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events