I cannot find the Edit button to move a story in one epic onto another. Im site Admin

GameDev February 8, 2021

Why is this?

Day by day Jira gets worse as it becomes a convoluted mess. The simplest tasks like deleting a sub-task you have to go through silly HTML editing videos by random people on Youtube, becoming more javascript, for a basic feature such as delete sub task.

Now i want to move a story from one epic to another. All the idiot instructions to "click edit" blah blah blah - well there is no "Edit" feature on the task.

Im the Admin. I should have the highest access features.

When will this leviathon finally be slayed? So common-sense and simple easy independant project management programs then rule the land. 

havent the bilionaire australian brothers who made Jira a giant intranet for govt agencies (ie tax payers wealth paid for project management systems) made enough money?

Timeframes prevent us abandoning it on the spot due to product release. It seems Jira is more concerned with "App buttons" than the simplest basic features out of the box that every project management item should have. Delete? Edit?

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hi @GameDev , my suspicion is that you are viewing dated videos or videos associated w/ the now EOS Sever version. For sure one of the challenges with Cloud is that it changes rapidly and frequently which can quickly can obsolete videos, Community answers and documentation. I would sat the Community is the most current. To your specific question, the new issue view (now more than a year old) has done away with the Edit button of old. I the current UI you simply edit the fields directly in the detailed issue view.

I can't answer/comment on your other questions. However, if there is a specific task you are having an issue with I would be happy to give it a shot.

Aiden Marriott
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2021

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

to set delete permissions you will need project permissions

project settings > permissions > Delete issues and check which roles/groups have the permission.

To see if you fall into one of those groups or to add yourself to one of the groups/roles you will need jira admin permissions then go to admin (cog) > user management and find yourself and view details. If you are not in one of the roles/groups you can add yourself. Role are found under admin > system > project roles. Groups are under admin > user management > groups.

0 votes
GameDev February 8, 2021

Id like to know how to delete sub tasks please.

Aiden Marriott
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2021
GameDev February 8, 2021

Thank you. It is not a next gen project however and delete is not visible on any of the tasks or sub tasks.

Aiden Marriott
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2021

Hi GameDev - do you have the delete option appear for normal tasks?  If not - you may not have the "Delete Issues" privilege in the project - even System Admins can be excluded for doing this (but they can assign themselves the permission in the relevant scheme)

GameDev February 8, 2021

How do i assign relevant permissions in the scheme so that i can delete. Everything is used out of the box  by default with very little changed except epics created and tasks inputted with sub tasks. Some of those sub-tasks are wrong and now have to be deleted.

Thank You.

Aiden Marriott
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2021

In your project admin settings look for "permissions" and edit the scheme.  There should be a "delete issues" option which will probably have no-one set.  If you edit that and set to the Jira admins group, or yourself personally - you should then be able to delete issues.

0 votes
Aiden Marriott
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2021

f this is a standard project - make sure "Epic Link" is on the screen

If its a "Next-gen" project you change it by selecting the "edit epic" in top left of the issue:

ScreenCap.PNG

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Hey @GameDev - I think you will find the solution is really much simpler than it appears to be based on whatever source you are looking at.

It's always a good idea to post some screenshots and state exactly what you are trying to do and what is happening that it is not letting your do that. Along with the visual of the screenshots, you should find the Community most willing to help you with the problem. 

Also, just some clarification - Site Admin privileges only allow you to deal with user management - adding new users, deactivating users, adding groups, etc. 

The highest level of privileges is the Jira Administrator permissions. But even then it is not all encompassing so that you can do whatever you want. That's by design. Doesn't mean that you can't get the permissions or access that you need, but it's not just a blanket statement that I have the single highest privilege.  :-)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Deleting any issue in Jira is controlled by the Permission Scheme for the project. Even if you are a Jira Administrator, you still need the Delete Issue permission in the Permission Scheme for the project. 

Typically, we encourage users to NOT delete issues, but to add a status to the workflow for something like Discard or Abort or Abandon or something like that. Otherwise at some point there is a good chance you will delete something you really needed. 

BUT, you have that capability if that is what you need to do. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events