I can't get to the plugins manager

Linda Schmandt April 4, 2019

One of my developers, using a next gen project, is not able to edit anything when viewing an issue.   We found this KB entry:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/edit-button-does-not-show-up-in-the-issue-menu-292126846.html, so I'm trying to go to Administration | Plugins | Plugins.    There's no 'Plugins" option on my Admin menu, although I do have global admin permission, and the keyboard shortcut also doesn't work.   Ideas?

thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2019

Hi Linda,

Thanks for describing the problem here.  I think I can see an issue we have with the terms in some of our older KBs like this one.   Recently both Cloud and Server products have stopped using the term 'plugins' within the product.  Instead the term 'apps' has been a replacement for Jira Cloud and Jira Server 7.13.x and higher versions.

If you are an admin in Cloud you can still use the g + g and then search for apps instead to get to the Universal plugin manager in Jira.   I will look to update that KB today to reflect there.  However I doubt this scenario is what you are seeing here.  The reason I say that is because this scenario in the KB would effect all projects and all users.  Something that isn't clear from the way the KB sits currently today.

Instead, I would as an admin in Jira Cloud, try to use the Jira Permission helper utility in order to confirm that this user actually has the permissions to edit in that project first.

Sorry about the outdated KB, let me know if these steps help.

Andy

Linda Schmandt April 8, 2019

Thanks, Andy.  I hadn't used the Permission helper utility before.

I talked to the user and now understand the problem better.  It's not that he can't edit, but that there is no Edit button in his view of the issue.  That means he can edit any individual field that is displayed, but can't -- for example -- link an issue if the Link field isn't displayed.   This happens if he clicks on the issue number in a backlog view or in filter results.

He's using a next gen project.  Is that the issue?

thanks!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2019

Hi Linda,

While I was updating the KB, I tried to find all the scenarios where the edit button would not appear.  And I realized that the next gen projects in Jira Cloud don't have this edit button at all.  So that would explain why users don't have an edit button in those project types.

However for the example you provided, I can't find a way to hide the link button in a next gen project.  Even for issues without links at all.  I thought perhaps it was an ability next gen projects to restrict some features, but I can't find this specific one.  Just to help clarify, does your next gen project look like this in a backlog?

nextgen1.png

If not, then perhaps we are not dealing with a next gen project here.  Perhaps a screenshot of your end user's browser might help us to better understand the reported problem here.

Thanks

Andy

Linda Schmandt April 8, 2019

Our backlog does look like that, yes, and I'm including a screen image from my user's issue, also.  I think we've determined that the user CAN edit everything.  He's just used to seeing an Edit button.  And if he accesses a list of issues by using a saved filter, and then clicks an issue number, the issue view does still have an Edit button, which is a little confusing.

Thanks for your help.  Sorry I didn't figure out the real issue before asking.

nexGenBacklog.PNG 

image.png

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 15, 2019

Thanks Linda,

No need to apologize.  It's just something that is different in the new Cloud interface.  We at Atlassian would hope these kinds of changes would make Jira more user friendly and easier to use for more users.  But it's cases like this that provide Atlassian good feedback from existing users that get confused when buttons disappear.

Glad to hear the same functionality at least still exists here.  Thanks for the feedback here.

Cheers,

Andy

Suggest an answer