I can't figure out how to add "Remaining Estimate" to the Issue Detail view in Greenhopper

Nathan April 17, 2013

I'm trying to add "Remaining Estimate" to the Issue Detail view in Greenhopper (6.1.4.2). I've read the documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+the+Issue+Detail+View , but I still can't add "Remaining Estimate" (even though it seems like a number).

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

--

Nathan

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2013

Hi Nathan,

To add the "Remaining Estimate" to the Issue Detail View simply configure the board as you would above but instead of going to the Issue Detail View tab in the Configure screen go to the Estimation Tab.

You should see a Time Tracking Section on the board and all you have to do is select Remaining Estimate and Time Spent. The default is probably "None".

Selecting this will add the Remaining Estimate to your Issue Detail View.

Hope this helps!

Alex

Brian Weissler May 4, 2013

This is cool. It worked for getting my remaining estimate into the Issue Detail View on my Work Board, however it changed my Burn Down chart. I still want my Burn Down chart to show the Story Point burn progress.

We are assigning Story Points to Stories, and tracking time (Original and Remaining Estimates, Time Spent) to Subtasks. I like the remaining estimate view on the Issue Detail View, but don't want this impacting how I view burn down, which is simply Stories (with Story Points) planned vs. completed.

Like JAMES_LIMA likes this
Richard Katz November 18, 2013

Hi,

This doesn't quite connect yet. Initially, I don't see Time tracking on the JIRA issue. So I created a Board. I chose "Sprint" (because I don't know which one to chose) I am now looking Plan mode.

On the Configure screen, in the "Estimate" tab, I turned on "Remaining Estimate and Time Spent"

Then, there is an "Issue Detail View" tab. I click on this and try to enter the estimate or time tracking under "General Fields" but I don't see it. What do I do to get "Time tracking" to show up under individual issue view?

The choices are a long alphabetic list: "Affected Modules... ... ... Verification Status"). What do I choose?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Rich

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2013

@Nathan, no I think Kanban is right for you based on that criteria. Seems like an unfortunate miss that you can't show that field in the issue details.

0 votes
Sven Hindman October 10, 2013

If you ever find an answer to your dilemma, please let me know. We have the same setup as you. We’d like to see the time estimation on the subtasks but the burndown in story points.

For now, we will keep opening the issue in Edit mode to see what the estimate is on the subtask (that's better than showing the burndown in hours rather than story points).

0 votes
Nathan April 17, 2013

Hmm, I've read more about this in the documentation and it seems that the above suggestions are for Scrum boards.

We're using Kanban (I should have stated in my question). Perhaps we should be using Scrum? (I just read this on the Kanban page: "Kanban boards are for teams that focus on managing and constraining their work-in-progress. Because work is not planned in advance using discrete time periods or versions, Kanban boards are visible in Work mode but not in Plan mode."

So, for Scrum, both of your suggestions are right! Now I just need to figure out how to transition from Kanban to scrum (unless someone knows a way to add these estimates to Kanban boards)! :-)

Thank you!

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2013

WHat are you using for sprint tracking?

Remaining time should be at the very top of the issue detail view:

Suggest an answer