I am using the new Jira Experience. I am unable to find where to configure my board.

James DonFrancesco December 18, 2017

I have configured a new workflow scheme for my new Jira Project, but the configuration of boards and cards seems to be completely missing. I have looked everywhere in Project settings as well as Site Administration / Jira Administration.

I own the entire account so I have access to everything.

There used to be a way to configure cards and boards via the cog, but I don't see it anywhere. Help!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2017

Cloud or server?

Cloud =

1. Click the magnifying glass (search)
  2. Find the sidebar section for Recent Boards and select View all boards
  3. Click the Create board button in the view all boards screen
  4. Once board is created you will be able to configure via ellipsis in upper right.

Thanks @Jack Brickey, I will try this. If it doesn't work, I will revert and turn off the new experience for now.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2017

it will work. but I feel your pain. I switch back and forth between the two. some of the new UI is just getting comfortable with it but some operations are simply slower due to multiple clicks.

Prior to this recommendation, I turned off the UI. How do I turn it back on?

As a side note, as I explored your directions, I discovered in the old Jira view, my Project board does not exist. I configured a very specific workflow, and have it showing on the "board" icon. This is strange. I suppose I need to get back into the new view again to follow your step-by-step guide.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2017

upper right click on profile pic

@Jack Brickey I've got my original board setup the way I want it now but I still can't customize the cards or columns. I followed your process but that seemed to only let me create a new board under my own profile. It's like it's just a new board view.

How do I edit settings for my original board associated with the project? It doesn't show up in the search / boards process.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2017

are you on cloud or server?

when viewing the board do you have the ellipsis in upper right? If so do you have Board setting option? If so then once in there you should see where you can configure cards, columns, etc.

board.png

If you are not seeing the above are you sure you are the owner of the board? Check this under the View all board screen.

James DonFrancesco December 19, 2017

I am using Cloud. I also have this setup as a Process Task Flow template. Not sure it's Scrum based, but probably Kanban.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2017

Oh wait a minute. I think you may be trying to configure the board that comes default under the project? If I'm now understanding correctly this cannot be done. Let me explain a few things...

1) When you create a project you will get a default board which cannot be configured. It is a basic board that let's you view, drag and drop, a couple filters and create issues from the board. It looks something like this...

default business project board.png

2) In a recent cloud update you can only associate a board you create to a Software Project. If the project is a business project you can create it but it has to be associated to your profile. Regardless, any board you create you should be able to configure. Here is an example of a board I created from the very same project as shown in #1.

created board.png

Can you provide some images of what you are seeing and tell me more about the project type?

James DonFrancesco December 19, 2017

@Jack Brickey You're spot on. This is precisely what I was doing. I even went as far as creating my own board with the config I wanted, and associated it to my personal profile as you described. I was not sure if my teammates would be able to utilize the board, so I was thinking I would need to modify the original project board.

I guess I'll try the alternative out.

Thanks for all your help! Now if I could just figure out permissions and how to prevent certain people from accessing various projects / boards.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2017

@James DonFrancesco, glad I could help. Please accept the answer by clicking the checkmark as this will help others in the future.

Regarding permissions, there are lots of threads on this out there. Easy to do thru Groups feature. For boards simply configure permissions via the General page and select a Group that you define under User Management in the main Jira settings area.

Good luck!

0 votes
Sara December 18, 2017

Hello James,

Once you created the new project,

You can create new board from left hand side (see attached screenshot) or you directly create new from board from boards -> view all boards - > create new board (top right hand side)

Hi @Sara

Yes, this looks like the right process but is for the previous legacy experience. I am using the brand new upgraded experience for Jira. It appears those options have been deprecated across the entire system.

Suggest an answer