I am trying to use SQL to extract data from Jira and can't find my Custom field data?

We recently moved to the Server version of Jira and am trying to extract data to load into our Data warehouse and cannot find the values associated with the custom fields we have setup and populated. I am betting it is stored in XML somewhere but nothing obvious has been found yet.

1 answer

0 votes
Micky Caritte Community Champion Jan 16, 2018

Hi Robert,

In fact it's in the database but I would advise you to prioritize using the REST API as much as possible.

If you need to keep using SQL, the table where information is stored is customfieldvalue (in the corresponding type column, you can join jiraissue table on issue ID and customfield on customfield_id).

Please note that if you're referreing to plugin data, they might use a proprietary format for storage or an Active Object table which is slightly different.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Also, for some custom fields, you will probably need to join on the "options" tables - specifically, select type fields.

I can't recommend Micky's first line more - please, do not use the Jira database for anything, it's a nightmare for reporting.  Use the REST API.

I was able to find the data in the Labels table, but now I am trying to find the Epic that the issue is associated to.

Micky Caritte Community Champion Jan 16, 2018

Have a look at the customfield value table and check which ID is the "Epic Link" associated to. AFAIK that field is stored as others in that table.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

2,088 views 14 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you