I am trying to upload files on our Jira however is giving me internal service error.

Danisse April 24, 2021

I am trying to upload files on our Jira however is giving me internal service error. What I've done so far is to delete old audit log files to check if that is a storage issue but is not.

I've tried restarting jira several times still same result.

3 answers

0 votes
Danisse April 25, 2021

Issue has been resolved. Thanks!

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2021

@Danisse  Can you elaborate here what the root cause was as often others who experience the same can find this useful?

Thanks.

Danisse April 26, 2021

Actually, we don't know the root cause we just tried restarted the entire EC2 instance and not just the JIRA Service and it worked.

0 votes
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2021

Are you getting issues only for attachments? or any other operations too?

Permissions look alright but have ensured the user running the Jira service is jira and not root or any other user? Pls check that first by ps command.

One more question, while deleting the log files, was Jira down or running? 

You might wanna try restarting Jira by deleting the cache, it is also possible that the cache is broken but that happens when you delete stuff while Jira is running.

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2021

Hi @Danisse 

For this, I’ll start with the following:

1. Open your browser developer console and upload the file check the error returned in console and network as these could help narrow down if it’s an application, network or similar issue
  2. If you know when you added the attachment, go to your <application Home>/log/Atlassian-jira.log file to see what error is being thrown while it attaches the file.

Share the errors seen with us or search google and we will be happy to help further.

Regards

Danisse April 24, 2021

Hi @Ismael Jimoh 
Thank you for the response. However, when I check in the logs it is not reflected there which is weird for me.

What I've done so far is to delete old log files to free up the memory since I was thinking that this might be a storage-related issue. Also, tried restarting the server multiple times but no luck.

When I ran the developer tools, here's the POST log that I am able to see

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2021

Hi @Danisse 

That is quite weird as this makes it harder to discern.

Can you check that:

1. Your user who starts the Jira service can write to the <JIRA Home>/data/attachments directory? Better yet the whole <JIRA Home> directory.
  2. Does this impact only your user or all users on the application

To be honest, I am not sure why once again. If we could see an error in the log, it’ll definitely help.

Danisse April 25, 2021

Hi @Ismael Jimoh 

Yes it has the appropriate permissionMicrosoftTeams-image (3).png

Also, this is happening to all of our users

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2021

This is quite odd then. 

I am unsure what else could lead to this behaviour.

In the end, this is making a rest API call and a 403 means either the user doesn’t have the permission to add an attachment or if adding attachments is disabled.

45C4480B-6756-4A1F-A140-9D1A87BA4E65.png

Could you go to the advance attachments as described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-file-attachments-938847851.html

Ensure Allow attachments is turned on at least here and if it is also try increasing the limit if it is less than 10MB(the application would normally throw attachment size limit exceptions here but just to rule out this as well).
Also as suggested by @Suhas P @ensure JIRA is running by the JIRA user.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events