I am trying to change rank of in progress task and it won't let me

Jan Anderson December 13, 2016

I have a task in my Backlog that is In Progress and I want to move it up higher in rank but I keep getting an Error (You cannot perform this operation because you do not have "Schedule" permission.). However, I do have "schedule" and "edit" permission and it still won't let me move it.

In full disclosure, this was a Story issue type that I changed to a Task issue type but I don't know why that would make a difference. I am able to move the rank on a Story in my Backlog that is in an "In Progress" state. I generally leave "tasks" in the backlog as they are not work the development team will do but rather documentation tasks that I or someone else are performing that generally take longer than a sprint to complete. Maybe I shouldn't have them showing on my board at all.

Thoughts?

4 answers

0 votes
Yuki March 25, 2018

@Jan Anderson

I think that I found the root cause of this issue. There is a Properties of 'In Progress' status jira.permission.scheduleissue.denied. It will overwrite your '"Schedule" and 'Edit' permission.Schedule deny.PNG

0 votes
Karalee Kikiros
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2016

Have you tried assigning the ticket to you? There might be some weird permissions built into the workflow that only the assignee can do. I also find that if there is Agile board weirdness going on, it's usually because the ticket also appears on another JIRA board and the permissions are conflicting. Have a look at the sprint field to see if someone is also having it appear on their board. 

Jan Anderson December 14, 2016

That's what is so frustrating about this... I am the assignee on them. The only way I have been able to move them in rank is by moving them back to a To Do state but I don't like doing that. It is acting like somehow the rank can't be changed because it has a Due Date or something. Very strange...I'm fairly certain these do not appear on any other board.  

Karalee Kikiros
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2016

So this happens with all the Tasks or just one in particular?

Jan Anderson December 19, 2016

It happens on all tasks that are In Progress whether they are assigned to me or not.

0 votes
Jan Anderson December 13, 2016

I'm not sure if other projects are using Tasks on their board. Yes, the Task and Story issue types have different workflows. P.S. Don't laugh at the messy workflows; I am working with my development team to get them to use better standards when creating the workflows! Drives me crazy!!Story workflow.JPGTask workflow.JPG

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2016

Is this just a single project?

Do the Task and Story issue types have different workflows?

Suggest an answer