Recognition

• Give kudos
  • My kudos

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I am not able to apply new purchased license to jira after trial expired

I had a trial license which has expired. I had purchased a new license and tried to apply it. I assumed the system ID was the same. when I try to past the license in the version and license tab the software reports it is not the correct version. would the service ID have changed?

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Jun 26, 2019

Hi Melanie,

Sorry to hear there seems to be problem here.  I understand that you applied a new license for Jira Software, but immediately after doing so, you are seeing in the versions and licensing page a warning box that indicates the version of Jira Software you are using is not compatible with Jira (or more precisely Jira Core).   This is not caused by a difference in the Server ID, that value is only needed at the time of license first creation, and it's technically not required for you to apply that license key to the same install where that Server ID came from, but that is a common misconception.

This is a known problem that can happen specifically between Jira versions 7.0.0 and 7.2.x.  In those builds it was possible for you to sometimes be able to update the Jira Software plugin, without also always having to upgrade the Jira Core base too.  However this was an oversight within those versions.  So while the UPM (universal plugin manager) in Jira once allowed that to happen, after a certain point an update to the UPM changed that.

Hence when you updated the license, your Jira site likely made a connection back to the Atlassian Marketplace site and the UPM in Jira updated to see this new restriction.  As such, this update is meant to convey to Jira Administrators that the version of Jira Software you are currently running has not been made compatible with the version of Jira Core running underneath it.

You can confirm if this is the case here by looking at the current versions of Jira Software and Jira Core currently installed.  I'm betting that these version numbers won't match up in your system.  If they did, this error would not be appearing.

As for what to do about it, well, ideally since you have applied a new license key, upgrading Jira itself will resolve this.  However if you are not looking to perform an upgrade right now, well, Jira should still be functional.  But it's possible that there are bugs fixed to later Jira Core versions that your installation won't have access to until a proper update is completed.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,624 views 22 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you