I added a component to a project but the field did not create

Kim P November 24, 2020

In Jira cloud - I added a component to a project but the field did not create on my issues. Anyone else experience this same problem?  Perhaps there's a known bug.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/organize-work-with-components/

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2020

Hi @Kim P 

When you note "the field did not create on my issues", what do you mean?

In project settings, you add/maintain components.  To then add it to a specific issue you edit that issue's component field.

Best regards,

Bill

Kim P November 24, 2020

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the quick message!  I followed the instruction, but the actual field "Component" is not visible on my issue.  I thought it would automatically become available post creating a component(which I have).  Perhaps you could point me in the right direction?

Component_3_11242020.pngComponent_2_11242020.pngComponent_11242020.png

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

@Kim P 

Have you clicked on the "Show 5 more fields" link in the bottom right of the issue display?

Is the project a Classic project?

If so then perhaps the Component field is not included in one of the following:

- the Field Configuration assigned to this issue type in this project

- the Screen configured for this issue type in this project

Kim P November 24, 2020

@Trudy Claspill - I did already check the "show 5 more" and it's not there.  Based on the instruction, I didn't believe we had to configure a new field.  Do you know otherwise?

Component_11242020.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

@Kim P 

You don't have to configure a new field.

The fields available for issues are based on Field Configuration schemes and Screens. The Components field was probably included in the default schemes that are set up out of the box, but if your organization's JIRA Admin has modified the schemes then the field may have been hidden because it was not being used. The Field Configuration and Screen(s) for the issue types in your project should be checked to confirm the field has not been hidden or removed.

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2020

Yes, and...

If the field is missing on the view you can use the Admin Helper (as you appear to be a site admin).  On the create or edit view, select the link "Where is my field" and it will guide you.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-the-jira-admin-helper/

Like # people like this
Kim P November 24, 2020

Thank you both for being so responsive.  I forget about the admin helper!  Unfortunately, it shows the field should be present.  Perplexed and pretty sure we've exhausted all our troubleshooting options.  Let me know if you feel differently or have any other tricks to try.

Component_4_11242020.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2020

Well, I can think of two more things to try before submitting a ticket to support:

• clear your browser cache and close/re-open the browser to see if something is preventing the display
  • toggle off the new-issue-view to see if components are visible

Next, consider submitting a ticket to suport:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Kim P December 1, 2020

Thanks!  I've opened a bug

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2020

@Kim P if support gives you an answer (which isn't a defect) would you please post that back here?  That will help others in the community learn more.  Thanks!

__Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events