How we can revoke from Jira Admins to manage users?

wix November 14, 2019

Hi!!!

We want to revoke from Jira Admins the option to manage users, and only those who have Jira System Administrators permissions can manage the users.

The issue is that we have a lot of employees with Jira Admin permission and we can't remove them that permission, we want to revoke the option of adding new Jira Admin, without our approval first.

Any idea how we can achieve this?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2019

Hi @wix - You need to remove them from the site-admins Group in Jira. Then see if that prevents them from add others to groups. 

wix November 17, 2019

Hi John,

Not familiar with site-admins Group in Jira, is this for Jira Server or Cloud? We work with Jira Server, if is also for Jira Server can you point me how to get there exactly?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2019

It is just a group in the list of all groups under settings > user administration. It is for both server and cloud 

wix November 19, 2019

Do you mean administrator group??

I will try to make clear my issue, we, Jira System Administrators, (a level above Jira Administrators) decided to not remove users from the administrator group (Jira Administrators), but we want to revoke them the possibility to manage users (add/edit/remove).

Is there a way to do it without removing them from that group? Changing the permissions of what this group can do on Jira?

Regards

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2019

There should be a group in your list of groups called site-admins. It is members of that group who have the ability to manage users. 

site admin.PNG

Suggest an answer