How true is this security flaw - Atlassian products cookies are not invalidated for 30 days

Pavankumar Shukla December 13, 2022

any comments on below flaw, how true is this and what's the severity - apparently it mentions:

Atlassian products (Jira, Confluence, and BitBucket), cookies are not invalidated, even if the password is changed, with 2FA (Two-factor Authentication) enabled, as the cookie validity is 30 days. They only expire when the user logs out, or after 30 days.

CloudSEK researchers have identified that this flaw can take over hundreds of companies’ Jira accounts. Our records show over 1,282,859 compromised computers and 16,201 Jira cookies for sale on dark web marketplaces. And just in the last 30 days, over 2,937 compromised computers and 246 Jira credentials were made available.

Stolen Atlassian Cookies Can Lead to Unauthorized Account Access even if 2FA enabled.

5 answers

2 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Abraham Regules December 14, 2022

This is the official response I got from Atlassian support today:

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Support, ... I will be assisting you throughout this ticket.
I understand you are interested in getting more information about the reported vulnerability.

Atlassian's security team is aware of the report that a customer’s session tokens may have been compromised during a breach of their systems, and we have followed security protocol to invalidate affected session tokens. Atlassian is conducting a comprehensive investigation, though our security team has not found evidence of a compromise within our systems or products.

No customer action is required at this time. We will share another update once our investigation concludes.

Please feel free to respond here with any questions or concerns.

Kind regards,
Atlassian Support | Cloud

Miquel Cano December 14, 2022

Thanks Abraham! I've just raised a ticket to them. I'll post here if I get any new information.

Like Kristoffer Skude Jensen likes this
Miquel Cano December 15, 2022

Received exactly the same answer from Atlassian support... 

Like Pavankumar Shukla likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Filipi Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2022

Hi, all,

I just wanted to circle back and let you know that we've released an official Community post here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trust-Security-articles/Atlassian-response-to-claims-regarding-session-tokens-cookies/ba-p/2217925

2 votes
Eric Tolliver December 13, 2022

The article gives a workaround "Set a shorter idle session for Atlassian products via the admin.atlassian.com under Security → Authentication policies section until a fix is released by atlassian."  I am unable to find this selection on Confluence Cloud as admin.  Any suggestions on how to shorten the idle session time in Confluence Cloud?

Abraham Regules December 13, 2022

We use Atlassian Access for both Jira Software / Confluence and we are reducing our idle session timeout directly on our SSO auth policies...

Try this article: 
Update idle session duration | Atlassian Support

Kevin Cherry December 13, 2022

In my instance I did this and then followed the steps in the article:

Jira_Admin.png

I was able to adjust the idle session duration in the above way. I also tried going to Confluence first, but couldn't find the idle session in there either.

Eric Tolliver December 13, 2022

I am not able to get the security settings screen.  When I pick Administration is asks with organization.  Once I select the organization it drops me back to the Confluence configuration screen.  Could this be due to us using the "Standard" version? 

I'm not sure. Our products (under the products tab at the top of the screen) are: Atlassian Access, Confluence (standard), Jira Administration, Jira Service Management (Premium), and Jira Software (Premium).

I would open a ticket with support, grant them access to your system (in the ticket), and let them investigate and help you. That's what I do.

2 votes
Pavankumar Shukla December 13, 2022

I just received a notification from one of our team members about this same link... I think focusing on the first 3 mitigation measures could be a priority...

• Encourage employees to log out of sensitive applications on regular basis
  • Set a shorter idle session for Atlassian products via the admin.atlassian.com under Security → Authentication policies section until a fix is released by atlassian.
  • Implement idle-session timeout to enforce re-logins

Do you know how to perform the 3rd item listed above?

"Implement idle-session timeout to enforce re-logins"

Like Miquel Cano likes this
Miquel Cano December 14, 2022

Hi!

Do you have any idea if this flaw is affecting users from the support portal?

Thanks!

0 votes
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

I got the same response from support.  I have asked some follow-up questions and will post any info here.  First question is to confirm whether this is a Cloud-only issue.  If you enter a publicly accessible DC/Server URL on the CloudSek tool, it gives a positive result, but that could be just how their tool works.  That is, "info about jira.**.com exists in X number of data records on the dark web, but there aren't any that are affected by the cookie hack."

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events