How to write scriptrunner functions employee's manager or user's reporting manager name for jira

Vladimir Sid January 11, 2018

create a script runner function that is manager of user  and reports directly to manager. 

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2018

Hello,

Where information about managers is stored?

@Alexey Matveev Its stored in Oracle database thats HR database fyi.

As a JIRA user I need ScriptRunner functions that will return direct reports and managers of a user based on information from our HR database so I can use them in scripts and JQL.

a function returning manager of an user exists and returns the same person as Oracle database.

a function returning direct reports of an user exists and returns the same list as Oracle Database.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2018

I would not do it as a JQL functin. The performance will be very low. You should do it as a scripted field. Then you can choose on the scripted field in JQL function. You can read more here about scripted field

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.0.4/jira/scripted-fields.html

You can query database like this

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/recipes/misc/connecting-to-databases.html

@Thanos Batagiannis _Adaptavist_ could you please point me to a script that can help me with this issue? Please and thank you.

Thanos Batagiannis _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2018

Hey @Vladimir Sid

@Alexey Matveev is absolutely right. The links to the documentation that he posted are a good start. 

Let me know if you get stuck.

@Thanos Batagiannis _Adaptavist_ I would need your suggestion on how to write the script or a code snippet or template for user picker (for example user1) and return the result for user1's immediate manager (example: user2). As i started following the link I can find all other sorts of very useful info but not relevant to my query. Thank you.

Suggest an answer