How to view burndown chart for a version?

Andrew Cohen January 7, 2014

We use Jira 5.1.4/Jira Agile 6.3.2.2 and I can see the Jira Rapidboard burndown charts for a sprint in the list of gadgets, but I do not see anything to show me a burndown chart for a whole version, as opposed to a sprint.

This seems like a basic requirement, seeing as there are no GANTT charts built into Jira. Am I missing something?

How else could I get a quick and easy visual health check on my release?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Cohen January 12, 2014

So, the Agile Classic Hour Burndown Chart gadget does actually work now that I have added a start date to the version. Without the start-date, the chart was blank.

I am a bit uncomfortable about using classic board gadgets as I understand they will eventually be de-supported. It would be good if this feature made its way into the main supported product sets.

0 votes
Ruchi Tandon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2014

Looks like you are referring to this feature request : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-8829. Apparently, this has been marked as 'wont fix' which means that Atlassian developers are currently not working on this requirement.

0 votes
Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

If you have a list of the reports available, there should be a Version Report listed about halfway down. As long as the issues in sprints have versions assigned, then this should provide the view you are after.

Is this the sort of thing you are after?

Andrew Cohen January 8, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion. This would be good if:

1) it showed the time spent. The estimated completion date does not work well for us because Velocity is not very useful because we have a lot of tasks In Review and not yet Closed/Done.

2) there was a widget to show this on the dashboard

There is a widget for The Agile Classic Hour Burndown Chart, but this doesn't show much for me for some reason, as I am using the Rapid Boards instead of Classic.

Intel CHD Jira Admin March 24, 2014

If your board's estimation metric is effort, the version report is based on original effort and doesn't reflect remaining effort. This is why a version burndown, comparable to the sprint burndown, which would show a trend based on remaining estimated effort would be interesting.

-David

Suggest an answer