How to view Sprints older than the last 10 in Next Gen.

Jason Bemis April 3, 2020

Thank you for the Next Gen Sprint burndown chart.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-questions/how-do-you-generate-a-sprint-report-in-next-gen-project/qaq-p/1111375

I can see sprints 24 through 33.

I can not find any way to view any kind of report for sprint 23 or older.

Burn up is the same way

Velocity report is even worse, only showing the last 7 sprints.

Does anyone know of any plug-ins?  Hidden features? that can show any and all sprints?

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Santiago Innocenti October 6, 2022

With my team, we discovered that the feature of navigating back more than 10 sprints is related to the type of project that was selected when creating it.
The type of project that supports presenting more than 10 sprints in the reports is "Company - Managed".

CapturaJira.PNG

Jason Bemis October 6, 2022

This is such a perfect example of first being excited, and then crushed.

First excited to be able to do something new, then realizing that to do that one thing, I will need to give up much, much more....

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Bemis April 6, 2020

You can do a search for all cases, show the important columns (type, Story points, status, Sprint) then save as excel csv.

And then write some scripts to process that.

Word of caution, your importer needs to deal with the titles and sprint names that have commas in them.  They will be exported wrapped in "quotes".

"A title, or sprint, that has a few, commas in them"

my importer can not deal with commas and quotes in a title, because I don't have any of those cases yet.

Throw out the cases that are not done (or do that in the search)

Throw out the cases that don't have any story points

Throw out the subtasks, Jira does not count their story points in the parent, so I have taken to adding up the children's story points and re-entering the sum in the parent.

Then collapse the sprint columns.  Each time a case is kicked down the road into another sprint, it adds a column to your table.  If it is completed in the first sprint, it is only entered in the left most sprint column.  So to figure out which sprint a task was completed in, you need to read the rightmost non-empty sprint column.

Then you need to build a list of the sprints.

And sort that Alpha numerically.

Then you are finally ready to run through the data base and tabulate the Story points and sum them up by their sprint.

and hopefully your scripting langue has some nice graphing tools so you can display the information.

I also found it useful to save the processed data base, as I wanted to go back to it and figure out why there were large deviations from the average velocity.

1 vote
Jason Bemis April 3, 2020
0 votes
Will Bolam December 1, 2021

This seems like an absurd limitation, surely it's trivial to generate reports for older sprints?

0 votes
Mike Wilkins November 25, 2020

I don't have an answer, but it would be good if you can select any sprint from a project to view the burndown chart, like you can in "classic" JIRA

Suggest an answer