How to use subtasks in a Agile board?

Janet Lunde May 1, 2015

It is possible to do this?

I'd like to keep the Agile hierarch of an Epic with Stories under the epic.

What I want to also have is subtasks under a story, where the subtasks behave like the tasks under a Rally story. For example, supposed you have a story like "As a traveler, I can can reserve a car", with a subtask for a front-end developer, one for a back-end developer, one for the QA engineer, and maybe one for the documentation writer.

You can see who each task is assigned to, and whether or not it's done, but (1) the Product Owner only has to prioritize the story, (2)  git checkins are logged to the story, (2) story point estimates are only on the story, (3) , and we only need to update the story with what iteration it is in and what Version it's fixed in.

2 answers

0 votes
Janet Lunde May 9, 2015

It appears that if I add subtasks to a story (or bug), and have the board configured such that Swimlanes are based on Stories, then the task cards are grouped along a line with the parent issue. 

However, once you do that, the issues are no longer ordered by rank. That is, if you have one issue with subtasks, it's placed at the top of the board, and all the others are below it, in rank order.

If multiple issues have subtasks, then they are at the top of the board, above the others with are in rank order – but the ones with subtasks are not ordered by rank.

Frankly, what I really want is the Rally iteration view, where I see the stories in order by rank, with summary and status for each, and can view/hide the subtasks under them. I don't suppose there's a JIRA plugin that does this?

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2015

Subtasks won't be visible on the "Backlog" (previously Plan) view but you can see them in the "Active Sprints" (Previously Work) view. Make sure the swimlanes are based on stories and then you will have subtasks appearing under the stories.

Once you finish all subtasks, JIRA Agile will even prompt you with an option to close the parent story.

Looks like that covers everything you were asking on the question.

Suggest an answer