How to use different workflow for Subtask in jira?

S Sujata May 2, 2017

We have done the customisation for workflow but that has to be applied at issue level but not subtask level.

How can we switch with defautl workflow for subtask in an issue. or how can we use a different workflow for subtask itself in a project or its not possible to configure in that way and its applied at issue and subtask level. 

thanks. 

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jira Admin May 2, 2017

Subtasks can have a different workflow than other Issue types. First you will need to make sure you create the workflow that you want a subtask to have. Then you can set the workflow of any Issue Type or subtask in the Workflow Scheme used by the project.  They can all be set to different workflows or the same workflow depending on how you set up the workflow scheme and workflows.

S Sujata May 2, 2017

Thanks! workflow for subtask is created. 

Can i know the guidlines of steps to be used in jira to change the workflow for subtask in jira project.  thanks. 

Jira Admin May 2, 2017

This is the Atlassian Documentation on Workflow schemes.  They give you step by step instructions.  Make sure you change the documentation version to the version you are using.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/configuring-workflow-schemes-828787949.html

Like jim_rice_us likes this
2 votes
Clifton Jackson July 13, 2021

Hi - I'm having some issue with this. I need to create a workflow so that a subtask cannot go into the QA column. I see where I can disassociate a subtask from a workflow, but I don't see how to create new workflow for a subtask only. When I create a new workflow, how do I associate it with subtasks only? Can someone help me with this?

0 votes
Mahesh Kannan Thangavelu June 10, 2020

Thanks very helpful! 

Suggest an answer