How to use Jira time tracking fields with GreenHopper?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

Jira (5) time tracking is making reference to two fields Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate.

Still, I wasn't able to locate these fields in GreenHopper configuration

Usefull links

Note, I am trying to provide an a simple, effective and standardised way to work with estimation for several teams around here. Historicaly they used a really wide, and wild, set of custom fields for these, even going so fast as having lots of fields for all kinds of schelarios like best/likely/worst and in the end their usage was quite limited leaving about 30 fields to pick from... clearly a mess.

Most teams do prefer to use time instead of story points and I am looking to propose them a solution that would also play well with GreenHopper, preferably one that would use "standard" fields.

Is it possible to combine jira time tracking with greenhopper estimates? how?

1 answer

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 4, 2013

Hi Sorin,

It seems that you have read the proper documentation to configure GreeHopper. Our teams use story points but if your teams prefer time, then just set the Estimation Statistic to "Original Time" and don't forget to enable the Time Tracking option as well. This way, when your team takes on a new story, they just need to make sure that they enter the time estimate in Original Time before the sprint starts and that they leave this one untouched until it ends (when the story are closed). Then, during the sprint, they log their time in the "Time Spent" box and readjust the remaining time using the "Set to" box. This will produce useful graphs as the time taken to produce the story can always be compared with the original estimate.

Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer