How to upgrade the DVCS Connector plugin in Jira server

Thomas Blaisot September 13, 2018

I run a Jira Server version 7.11.2 which include the Jira DVCS Connector addon in version 4.3.1.
I want to use it with a Gitlab Server (as described here : https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/integration/jira_development_panel.html) but the addon use the wrong version of the API.

I have tried the same exact procedure on a Jira Cloud Instance with success and found out that the cloud instance use addon version 4.34.0 which have been upgraded to support the proper API version.

Is there a way to get the latest version of the addon for Jira Server (the upgrade can't be done from admin panel in Jira) ? 

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Keri
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2018

Hi Thomas, 

The version of the DVCS plugin you have is the latest available version for server. (This is also bundled with the latest release 7.12.1 and currently in the EAP for Jira 8 too) 

This plugin only supports BitBucket or GitHub presently.  There has been an open feature request asking for compatibility with Gitlab - Add support for Gitlab which is marked as Gathering Interest, although it's now been open for 3 years. I'd recommend voting for this to show your interest too. As it will be assessed with our New Features Policy

There are some add-ons in our marketplace which support this currently: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=jira&query=gitlab

I understand this might be disappointing but please take a moment to vote for the feature and check out some of the other add-ons to see if they fit your needs. 

Cheers, 

Keri

Thomas Blaisot September 16, 2018

Hi Keri,

I know that Gitlab is not officially supported by the plugin but as Gitlab is exposing a Github compliant API, it was possible to make it work with no change in Jira Plugin.

What I don't understand, is that the Cloud version of the plugin has a more recent version than the server one...
In fact i was able to make the connection between Jira Cloud and Gitlab.com without a problem but I can't do the same with the newly installed Serve instance...

I can't see in the comparaison chart beetween Jira Cloud and Jira Server a difference which explain that.

So I am not asking how to support Gitlab but I just would like to have the same DVCS plugin than in the Cloud version.

Thanks for your time,

Thomas

Keri
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2018

Hey Thomas, 

The code bases are different for Cloud and Server - the DVCS plugin for Cloud wouldn't necessarily work for Jira Server and isn't available for download.  I've already added your comments about the API into the feature request so that the team can take this into consideration. 

I don’t believe this is mentioned in the document as all of the plugins in Cloud vs Server are different due to the platform.  The integration with Gitlab would not be tested so wouldn’t be explicitly mentioned, if this stopped working at any point - it wouldn’t be supported.

From looking at the GitHub documentation I couldn’t see any recent API updates. 

Can you please share some more about the version of the API (and which specific call) you believe needs updating along with the behavior you’re seeing in Jira server - are there any errors logged in the UI or atlassian-jira.log?

Cheers,

Keri

Thomas Blaisot September 17, 2018

Hey Keri,

Thanks for the explanation. As the plugins name was the sames and the version very similar i was missled into thinking it was the same plugin.

Here is two gitlab issue referencing the problem :

The first highlight the difference in calls made by the plugin to the gitlab server:

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/6811

The cloud version made call to the pull API but the server version made call to an event API...

The second is about change made to the gitlab api to support the "events" call made by jira dvcs server plugin.

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/merge_requests/6756/diffs

After looking a lot more into github and gitlab api and with your explanation about the differences in plugins version I think i will resolve this question as "Not a Bug" because it will not be corrected any time soon unless jira add official support for gitlab which i will vote for.

I can only wish that the DVCS plugin made the same call in cloud and server version...

Thank for answering me !

Cheers,

Thomas

Keri
Atlassian Team
September 18, 2018

No problem! I added your notes about the API calls to the feature request so that maybe we can consider the way we're doing things going forward! 

Have a great week! 

Cheers, 

Keri

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Blaisot September 18, 2018

From Kely response :

The code bases are different for Cloud and Server - the DVCS plugin for Cloud wouldn't necessarily work for Jira Server and isn't available for download.

So there is no way to do it because it is not an upgrade !

Suggest an answer