How to unlock a locked custom field in Jira

Iftikhar Hussain February 29, 2024

I need to use Epic Link field . However i observed that this field is locked . I tried some hit and trial, but no luck . Please guide. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 29, 2024

Hi Iftikhar 

You don't unlock it. That's why it's locked. What are you trying to do with that field? It is not longer being used. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 29, 2024

Just to support John's answer - there's a reason locked fields are locked; it is to prevent us from misconfiguring them.

As John says, the Epic link field is no longer of any use, it is only there for systems which have used it in the past, and it it should not be used any more.  I expect it to vanish from Cloud eventually, although I wouldn't want to try to guess when it will go.

What are you thinking you want to use the Epic link field for, and what is wrong with it's current configuration that makes you think you want to unlock it.

Like # people like this
Iftikhar Hussain February 29, 2024

Thanks John and Nic !

I was planning a sprint. I created an epic and now want to attach 'x' number of issues with it , so i need 'Epic Link' field to associate . Please suggest if there is any other way.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2024

1. Don't use Epic Link - use Parent

2. See number 1   :-)

Iftikhar Hussain March 3, 2024

Thanks John, it worked :)

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL