How to track time in Epics?

Benjamin Buchwald June 8, 2021

Hi all,

I have an Epic and there are 5 tasks below it. In these 5 tasks working time has already been logged.

But the sum of the time of the tasks is not displayed in the Epic.

Is this possible at all without another addon?

Many greetings

Benjamin

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2021

Hello @Benjamin Buchwald 

You can use a third party app to accomplish this or create a custom solution using a custom field and Automation. 

An internet search for "jira cloud sum time for epic" will provide you with links to some of the apps in the Marketplace as well as links to other posts in this community that discuss this topic.

Benjamin Buchwald June 9, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill,

thank you for your answer.

The option with the automation would interest me, do you have an example of how that could work?

Many greetings

Benjamin

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

I do not have an example of doing this through automation, since I have not had to implement it before.

I see that in Automation you can set up rules to trigger on Work getting logged, changed, or deleted. And you can create a branch that will then operate against the parent epic of the issue. Then you would need to work out how to get the time logged against the issue (or the time changed or deleted) and recalculate the value of the custom field you created in the Epic.

Like Benjamin Buchwald likes this
Benjamin Buchwald June 10, 2021

Thank you Trudy for your support :)

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 17, 2021

Hi @Benjamin Buchwald 

You can use Jira's built-in automation feature and trigger it when time is logged against an issue.

If you want something which works out of the box we put together a plugin called Agile Docs.

It maintains fields for the summed up time logged on parent Epics:

time-fields-in-issues.png

It also reports on time logged all the way up your entire issue hierarchy up to the project or filter level. You can see below it gives a handy snapshot of how time is logged at any level of your issue hierarchy, including Epics.

Agile-Docs-Estimate-Tree-Jira.png

Hope that helps!

Rhys

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 28, 2021

If you would be interested in a ready made solution, You may want to try out our plugin,

Agile Tools : Epic Tree & Time in Status 

The plugin provide sum up of time spent for complete issues in epic hierarchy

Along with this the add-on also provides Links Hierarchy, Multiple (more than 8) Time in Status reports to track your issues and Worklogs report to track time spent each day/week/month, based multiple filters/group

Epic Hierarchy.PNG

Worklogs Report.PNG

Suggest an answer